Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a shredder/chipper that will shread plant stocks ?

Posted by violet45 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 13:44

I am looking for a shredder/chipper that will shread leaves but also plant stocks. I purchased what I thought would do the trick but in the directions it states to use only dry material. In the fall I drag all of my plant to our compost in my town and would like to be able to compost them. I have a small area and can't just have a compost pile and I was not impressed with our town compost. I hope someone can help. Thanks, Cyndi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a shredder/chipper that will shread plant stocks ?

Green stalks are easier on the chipper than tree limbs. The only problem would be if the material was sticking to the inside of the machine. A few dry sticks should cean it out.

o

What did you buy? Electric or gas? Can you post a link?

o

I bought a lawn master 15 amp shredder/ chipper. The hopper is very narrow which I did not see on the site I bought it. The brochure states that material has to be dry which I also did not see. My daughter is always saying to read ALL of the words! Haha. I am alone so I done want anything to heavy. I did not think this would be so hard. Thanks for any help.

o

I bought a lawn master 15 amp shredder/ chipper. The hopper is very narrow which I did not see on the site I bought it. The brochure states that material has to be dry which I also did not see. My daughter is always saying to read ALL of the words! Haha. I am alone so I done want anything to heavy. I did not think this would be so hard. Thanks for any help. It is electric.

This post was edited by violet45 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 18:13

o

OK, that looks very similar to a small electric chipper that my wife bought. You shouldn't have to worry about putting green material in it. I think the warning about 'dry' just means not to try shredding soaking wet stuff such as right after a rain, or inherently very wet materials like a bushel of fallen fruit. It would probably clog it with a sort of vegetable puree. :-]

We've put volumes of green stuff like fresh cedar branches and twigs through ours and it works fine. In fact, with any kind of sticks and limbs, shredding will be easier when they're green.

If you start to have problems when shredding green or juicy stuff, alternate with handfuls of dry material like sticks to keep it cleaned out.

o

• Posted by TXEB 9a (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 12:49

Alternatively, let the now defunct green stuff turn brown and dry out dry for a week or two. Then shred it.

o

Thanks so much. I think I am going to give it a try. Can't hurt.

o

One more hint, when you're putting woody branches in, start with the fat end first. The stick can vibrate quite a bit during shredding, and if you hold the small end the vibrations are damped by the flexibility of the branch. The other way around is no fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here