Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reasonable organic amendment

Posted by charleshx 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 13:55

We have a very compact clay soil. To improve: I remove the big clumps and replace with bagged garden soil as well as use gypsum and "organic" amendments. Some products, like Kellogg's mulch has nothing but chopped up twigs. Recently Miracle Grow amendments flooded the market (Home Depot, Lowes etc) but double prices. Can someone recommend a "reasonably" priced "organic" stuff, like real mulch and no twigs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reasonable organic amendment

Twigs under 3" in diameter and applied before completely dead are technically called "ramial" wood and are one of the best forms of organic woody amendments to stimulate microbial soil behavior. Better than wood chips in stimulating microbial life.

However, it is important to apply them at a certain age before their decomposition process is completely finished. I'd imagine the store-bought kind is probably too old, but I don't know. The lowly twig is proving highly beneficial.

I'm sorry I am unable to answer your question, though.

Regenerating Soils with Ramial Chipped Wood

o

• Posted by TXEB 9a (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 16:04

Have you looked locally at bulk suppliers? Check the yellow pages under Landscaping Supplies.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 17:00

Those bulk suppliers will likely offer something called nitrohumus at around $25/cuyd. That is the way to go. They will also have different mulches, some that will have nitrohumus added so the wood breaks down faster.

o

• Posted by TXEB 9a (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 17:21

Charles - I see you're near San Clemente. With that info and a quick google search I found two near you that will probably have everything you need, along with some great local expertise. There is Sierra Soil and Best Soils of California.

o

What organic matter, yard waste, vegetative waste, is readily available? Leaves from deciduous tress? Shrub trimmings? Grass clippings? There is a wide variety of organic matter that can be obtained for free even in southern California. Many people throw out perfectly good organic matter so they can spend money purchasing something that is not nearly as good at the big box store.
Recycle, reuse.

o

There is no need to 'remove' any kind of soil unless it is contaminated by something. Clay soil is perfectly decent soil for many reasons that is just sometimes difficult to work or that sometimes drains poorly. Skip adding any additional bagged soil (unnecessary unless you are just plain short of soil) and amend with any kind of organic matter to lighten and improve drainage.

Any of the Kellogg products (and their sister labels, Master Nursery and Gardner&Bloome) will work perfectly well for this purpose but if you need to amend a large area, it will always be far less expensive to purchase in bulk, rather than bagged.

And I trust you are amending over a large area rather than individual planting holes - you want to create a broad uniform texture, not pockets of enriched soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here