Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Agastache in raised beds

jenn
11 years ago

We have clay soil. Against our south-facing back fence we have about 18' of raised boxes in which we've grown Tomatoes, basil, nasturtiums and peppers. When we planted them a few years ago we filled the boxes with bags of top soil mixed with some amendment, but have not added anything since. The soil in the boxes is now fairly light.

I love Agastache but it does not love clay soil, so I would like to try growing it in these boxes by converting the soil into a leaner mix. There is 2-3" of space at the top of the boxes in which to add perlite, grit, or whatever to prepare them for these plants. I know the resulting soil may still contain more amendment than the soil they prefer, but I'd like to get as close as possible and give this a try.

I do not plan to add compost, organic amendment, or playground sand to the existing soil in the boxes. What should I add instead?

This photo was taken in spring 2011:

{{gwi:308210}}

Comments (8)

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

I'm a long time grower of agastache in medium clay.

In my regular bed, what I do is dig out the clay, cover the bottom of the hole with chicken grit (tiny pebbles), then use a 1/4 sand, 1/4 composted manure and the soil I dug out mixed together. That seems to work fine.

However, last year I created a new bed using the lasagna method. Very rich soil but also very good drainage. I planted three tiny agastache plants (acapulco orange) and, as you can see, the rich soil poised no problem.

{{gwi:308211}}

• jenn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow - beautiful!

I'm concerned about long-term performance of lean-soil-loving Agastache that is grown in rich amended clay. The first year they will look great, but I'm concerned they will decline with each passing year. About 10 years ago we grew A. cana but it succumbed to the amended clay after a few years.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Lean soil is not the issue - drainage is. As long as one provides good drainage, especially during the colder times of the year, agastache should be fine.

In fact, one of the largest breeders/hybridzers of agastache suggests this: "Best in well drained, fertile soil. Needs excellent drainage to overwinter."

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

I have alkaline clay and have amended it with peat moss and cotton bur compost and my agastaches have done well and have overwintered well. After the first year I rarely water them.

• ssmdgardener
    11 years ago

I have horrible clay with no organic matter. When I dig down (actually, I can't dig; I have to chisel), it's yellow rocky clay with no worms, no bugs, no life at all.

I sheet mulched one area using mostly wood chips, coffee grounds and half-finished compost and planted agastache. By this spring, I couldn't dig in there without getting a scoop full of worms. The agastache there are going nuts.

I'm gonna guess that the area has about 6 inches of sheet mulching on top of the clay. I didn't have to do any supplemental watering at all this summer.

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

As others have said, the problem is drainage, particularly in the winter when the beds are covered in snow, which in your zone you aren't likely to encounter.

Here, where winter snow and drainage on clay can be a problem, I only have luck if the agastache are planted in south-facing, raided beds. I deal with clay as well - but I've found they really like a rich soil, so in the spring, when I clip them back, I spread a few inch thick layer of compost all around, and in the summer, use grass clippings as a mulch.

I plant two dozen or so 'Ava" with 'Desert Sunrise' (high country gardens, see link) about a foot apart for a very densely planted row, with mums in front. The mums come and go, but from about the last week of July until a killing frost, the agastache are spectacular.

Here is a link that might be useful: high country gardens, great source

• jenn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. David: I know about HCG and already have half a dozen of their Agastaches in my shopping cart. :-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Here's another clay gardener. Though my southern red clay is brick hard, it does drain well. My agastache thrives with little fuss. I add a layer of mixed wood chips annually but that's about it.