Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using grass clippings in a vegetable garden

Posted by Bob_from_NJ none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 16:12

Is it ok to use grass clippings collected from near the road on my vegetable garden?
Thanks!
Bob_from_NJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using grass clippings in a vegetable garden

Yep, depending on how you will use them, either in a compost pile or for a mulch - you may see more weed seeds sprout if the grass was high when it was cut, and then you turn it into the soil as an amendment.

Composting should get most of the weed seeds to sprout and die from lack of sunlight under the pile. If you already have a weed control method in place, no worries.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 16:26

Is there a weed control program in your area? Some local governments spray road right-of-ways to control weeds and they are permitted to use some herbicides that can be a potential problem for your garden.

Lloyd

o

agree with pt03.

o

If your road people will be spraying poisons along the roads to control "weeds" and growth of grasses they are required to notify those living near by and those people have an opt out clause. If you do not want your roadside sprayed you can tell them not to.
One year my county road commission was proposing spraying and I asked with what and eventually was provided the mix. When I pointed out to them that the formula was very similar to that of Agent Orange sprayed in Viet Nam the road commission dropped that idea altogether.
Can you use the clippings from the roadside as mulch in a vegetable garden? Sure, but be aware they will be polluted with what is worn off the vehicles, rubber from tires, oil, what is in exhaust, whether that road side is sprayed with poisons or not. I find in the grass in my road side all kinds of trash that I would not want in my gardens including cigarettes and cigars, plastic, syrofoam, paper, car parts, etc.

o

residuals aside, grass clipping added on top can mat down and stop rain penetration and can germinate seed of the grass and anything else that maybe there. so i would suggest put the clip on the garden around but not up to the plants and cover with other mulch.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here