Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garysut

Use your own yard debris for mulch.

Pest infestations in both urban and rural areas are estimated to cause economic damage exceeding $2.5 billion dollars annually largely due to the use of firewood, wood mulch and garden lumber.

Dyed Wood mulch is not nice. It's made by grinding up old pallets and other trash wood, and may contain arsenic, creosote and other nasty stuff. It is the lowest quality mulch you can buy. Well, "mulch" made of ground tires is much worse.

Wood and bark mulches breed a fungus that irrevocably stains anything. In addition to staining homes and cars, killing plants and feeding termites, we've seen disturbing news reports recently about house fires starting in wood mulches that are piled too deep. In some cases, the cause seems to be spontaneous combustion, a direct result of this hideous trend of so-called "decorative mulching", where people buy chipped up trash wood that's been spray painted an unnatural color and then pile it so deeply it smolders, reaches critical mass, and bursts into flame not unlike stacks of wet newspaper or oily wet rags.

Wood harbors tiny insect eggs or microscopic fungal spores that will start a new and deadly infestation of forest pests. Wood chips can contain many insects and diseases such as termites, Asian Long Horned Beetle, Emerald Ash Borer, Sudden Oak Death, or Thousand Cankers Disease, to name a few. Tell your friends and others about the risks of moving wood chips, no one wants to be responsible for starting a new pest infestation.

If you have to use wood mulch, obtain it near the location where you will use it. That means the wood was cut in a nearby forest, in the same county, or a maximum of 50 miles from where you'll have your garden and know why it was cut. A tree felled for being diseased or infested with insects will spread the problems to your yard if you use it as mulch
Don't be tempted to get mulch from a remote location just because the wood looks clean and healthy. DO NOT USE commercially distributed wood chips or mulch as not only does it come from distant areas but it is rarely of one grove of trees.

Do you know where your mulch came from?

Comments (14)

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

There are some good points in your post, but the fear may be overblown, and there are not a lot of (OK, there none) references to back up your claims.

I have concerns about the following items:

"Dyed mulch is made of pallets and trash wood." How do you know that? How do you know it's not sawmill scrap just like a lot of other bagged wood mulch and it just happens to be dyed? I don't happen to believe in dyed mulches but I have seen no evidence that they're made from contaminated pallets.

So I can get it from within 50 miles, but not if it's 'commercially distributed'. Are you suggesting we all buy chippers and make our own from local forests? Perhaps there is some other way to convey this point.

I certainly agree that efforts should be made to avoid spreading disease and pests. A pile of bulk mulch or a bag at the hardware store may be from local sources or very far away. Perhaps "Know the source and use common sense" would be better than these blanket statements.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Oh, and we've had several lengthy discussions about pallets here before. It was generally agreed that since pallets are often single-use, there is not much incentive to treat them with creosote or CCA. CCA hasn't been used in the US for awhile anyway, and certainly not on pallets. I've looked at a LOT of pallets and although they can be stained occasionally with whatever they carried previously, I've never seen treated ones. Imported ones are generally treated with steam or fumigant gas to kill pests.

• emerogork
    9 years ago

Maybe that line should have been just "trash wood" since pallets are in the same category. The discussion about pallets is moot.

Many towns are separating wood from the refuse and recycling it. There is no traceability. A lot of it is chipped and used as mulch. One of the biggest problems is when people tear out old decks, many of which have creosote. Old house wood can have lead paint.

Even if a vendor indicates the source of the wood, how many people actually check to see if it is mentioned in the documentation when they purchase it?

None of this discussion preempts termites, and the other insects infesting the chips.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Some of the dyed wood mulches I have seen have bits of OSB, plywood, and other wood scraps from unidentifiable sources and that may include discarded CCA pressure treated wood. While recycling is a very good thing to do these materials probably are not good choices, not any better then shredded tires.

Here is a link that might be useful: About dyed wood mulches

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

OK, the question of treated scrap or waste wood being shredded up into mulch is a good one. I don't know for sure what regulations might cover the use of treated waste wood in mulch. Our city does its best to separate junk that is dumped at the yard waste dropoff sites so it doesn't go into the shredder. I'm sure it's not perfect. It would not surprise me if some municipal operations or private mulch businesses were not as careful, particularly if regulations don't require it. It may vary by state. I'm going to look into it.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Termites? In wood chips? Probably not. They are more likely to go after carboard then wood chips.

• emerogork
    9 years ago

"Termites? In wood chips? Probably not. They are more likely to go after carboard then wood chips."

And when there is no "carboard"?
    Besides, Who gets cardboard with their wood chips?

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Tox, there are no regulations (or at least none I have found) covering using waste wood for mulches. While we are told that treated wood, or wood containing lead paint are not acceptable, in reality no one checks.
    The quite moist environment created by wood chip mulches, or any other material, is a good habitat for many insects including termites, although most termites prefer eating dry wood.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

I have a place in the country that's basically all wooded. I've picked up partly rotted sticks off the ground and found termites eating them from the bottom. Why would termites NOT eat wood? That's what they're here for. Nature did not provide cardboard for the last 100 million years.

I still use shredded wood mulch though. :-]

• emerogork
    9 years ago

I hope you are practicing safe-mulching and employing the proper protection.

Keep any mulch it at least 12" from the foundation of your house and NEVER mound it up against the base of any plants. I cringe when I see those mulch volcanoes with trees in the center.

I just read that you should not even get the foundation of your house wet from sprinklers. Dry ground and concrete is best.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Termites, from Latin Termes meaning wood worm, eat the cellulose that makes up wood. They tunnel into wood and work on the dry parts, mostly, although there are species that m\ay well eat wet wood. Most termites need protection from the dry air so they build the mud tunnels that get them from in the moist ground to where the food is.

Here is a link that might be useful: About termites

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Pests such as the Emerald Ash Borer get around the country by budding Einsteins taking their own firewood with them camping, hauling it all the way across the country, instead of getting it locally.

Ash borer now in Colorado, where we have puh-lenty of firewood from the bark beetles.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Yes termites eat wood. And yes, wood chips are wood. But that doesn't mean that wood chips are high on the list of appetizing food for termites. They much prefer drier more contiguous pieces of wood to the tiny wet pieces of mulch that are being decomposed and made less nutritious. Condensed paper like cardboard is very nutritious and a lot of people use it as a sheet mulch which is why I mentioned it. Boy those termites can make quick work of cardboard.

The reason why people suggest no mulch near houses is because the moist environment created by the mulch is beneficial for termites not because the wood chips attracts them.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Back to the topic of contaminants from waste wood: In my state (MO) most if not all of the mulching and composting operations are exempted from obtaining a permit for processing/disposing of solid waste since they are turning waste into a product. Technically they should get an official Permit Exemption letter from the state, but only some of them do. The exemption states that they are not supposed to use treated, painted etc. wood. However, since they are exempt from permitting, there is no inspection process as there is with permitted facilities. Some of the larger composting operations, especially those composting food scrap, are required to get permits so the state can help control odor issues, etc. That gives the inspectors an opportunity to at least see the operation.

The person I talked to also said they know of no federal regulations on mulch.

Your state may vary, but there is certainly a possibility that all kinds of stuff *could* be used to make mulch and it would be hard to detect by looking.

As always, buyer beware.

This post was edited by toxcrusadr on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 14:52