Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check out these pine bark fines

Posted by DirtyTeddy none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 16:37

They seem good to me besides the sapwood. Sizing is great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check out these pine bark fines

Good for what? Intended use?

o

Using as major component of my media for container veggies

o

Looks like a high percentage of sapwood, but maybe not? You might want to post a picture in the Container Forum to get compliments on your medium.

o

Not very good for 5-1-1, sorry to say.

o

Forget the wet blankets, Teddy. The absolute best bagged soil amendment that's available in the KC area is a luscious blend of two composts (cotton burr and mushroom), pine bark fines, sphagnum peat moss, calcium and sulphur. We had some beds prepped by a landscaper who used straight cotton burr compost which wasn't fully composted and turned our new plantings yellow. The beds I prepped with "Max Mix" were spectacular from the get-go.

You don't want to apply the pine fines in too high a percentage, but they are wonderful as part of an amendment program.

o

Forget the wet blankets, Teddy. The absolute best bagged soil amendment that's available in the KC area is a luscious blend of two composts (cotton burr and mushroom), pine bark fines, sphagnum peat moss, calcium and sulphur. We had some beds prepped by a landscaper who used straight cotton burr compost which wasn't fully composted and turned our new plantings yellow. The beds I prepped with "Max Mix" were spectacular from the get-go.

You don't want to apply the pine fines in too high a percentage, but they are wonderful as part of an amendment program.

o

The vast majority of potting media used by the commercial nursery trade is pine bark based...sometimes as the only ingredient. Pine BARK fines make an excellent potting medium.

The bagged potting mix I've used for a very long time is mostly pine bark, with a much smaller addition of sphagnum and perlite (and dolomitic lime to adjust pH) .

o

Looks like it would work out just fine....pardon the pun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here