Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamthejake2000

Improving 2.5 acres of bad soil

iamthejake2000
9 years ago

Hello all,

I'll soon be acquiring 2.5 acres in a high-elevation zone 5 location from my parents. It's a 3-hour drive from where I live right now so I'd like to start improving it and hopefully make a transition to living there. I haven't been there in many years (am planning to check it out this weekend) but as I remember the soil has a lot of sand and clay, and I know for a fact it's poor quality. Average precipitation for July and August is around 2.5 inches per month.

What are some methods of improving the soil on a low budget, and without being able to get out there very often? I was thinking when I visit it I could sow a bunch of seeds of low-maintenance plants that do well in poor soil, like chamomile, in order to build up biomass. Any other ideas are appreciated, thanks.

Comments (9)

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Not to be a wet blanket, but the best thing for you is not to think that it's possible as an occasional visitor on such a huge scale. Avoid frustration that way. Find the best very small spots on the property, in terms of soil type and levelness, sun-exposure, etc, and concentrate on those.

• kitasei
    9 years ago

Research sources of free organic material - compost, leaves, wood chips, and try to arrange to have as many loads dumped there as possible. Trade your car in for a pick up truck and haul it yourself. Study the water drainage patterns, and analyze what you can do to capture more runoff in the soil. Is the site sloped? Does it need some terracing? Do an inventory of the trees and other vegetation. Which are contributing, and which are robbing the soil? Don't be daunted by 2.5 acres! Congratulations and have fun.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

high-elevation zone 5 location

Uh ... which part of "high-elevation zone 5 location " are you referring to? it makes a difference.

As an occasional visitor your ability to do much of anything is limited ...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

What is the ultimate goal? Do you want to garden the entire area and if so what do you want to grow? Unless you are thinking of starting a vegetable farm I would agree with pnbrown and suggest you decide on small areas to concentrate on amending (I won't say 'improving' because that's a value judgement on what's there already which might well be perfect for certain natives and other plants) while planting or encouraging stuff elsewhere which likes the conditions as they are. I also agree about doing an inventory and watching and studying the site through an entire year before making big changes.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

Do not try to fight the nature. Since you do not have a lot of time, only plant whatever is good for the land condition. Fruit trees are out, so much maintenance. Nut trees are out since you'll have to pick them very quickly before the other creatures take them.

Grow some Christmas trees, or any other trees that do not require a lot of maintenance. At least you can plant some hays and harvest it when you get time.

Forget about regular "gardening".

• cole_robbie
    9 years ago

I agree with all the posts here. I have acres of poor soil at my disposal now, but I do much better by fencing off a small area and building raised beds of the best soil possible, with adequate mulch and irrigation.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

How much time and how often do you have to be there? While you need not be there every day some time, periodically, will be necessary.
    Cover/green manure crops can be grown, but the soil will need to be prepared and the seed sown and then, at the appropriate time, cut down and/or tilled in. Cover/green manure crops can help improve soils and can help suppress unwanted plant growth as well as add organic matter, if properly utilized. That does not mean being there daily, or even weekly, although it may mean monthly or at least quarterly.
    Keep in mind that all soils are composed of sand and clay in varying amounts. These are the mineral components of soil no matter where in the world you are.

This post was edited by kimmsr on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 6:44

• strobiculate
    9 years ago

Let us start at the beginning.

You know for a fact the soil is poor quality.

In a location where summer precip is 2.5" a month.

At this point, I'm going to ask for a little clarification. Can you back up the supposition re: soil quality in any way? Conversations with neighbors, soil tests, years of experience?

Soils are complicated. Most people don't know jack about them. And given the variable nature of life, it doesn't make any difference.

But everything needs water. No water, the best soil ever will become inert.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

"Keep in mind that all soils are composed of sand and clay in varying amounts."

Plus, very notably, silt. And the "varying amounts" can include effectively zero for the purposes of horticulture.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro