Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compost salty snacks???

Posted by JerseyPurl 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 17:52

Is it advisable to add leftover potato chips, popcorn, pretzels, etc. to my compost tumbler? I use this compost as a mulch on my flower beds. Will this salt harm the soil/plants?

I'd rather keep these snacks out of the trash stream.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compost salty snacks???

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 18:44

If we are just talking the occasional handful, I see no issue with adding them. Even leaves have sodium in them.

Lloyd

o

The oils in some of those snacks will do more harm than the salt...that said, small amounts of any of it will pretty much do no harm.

You may want to put them a bit into the pile rather than right on top to keep animals/birds from sniffing around your pile, though.

o

As nc-crn pointed out, some of those salty snacks are attractive to things that might be considered pests in your compost. Often is because of the fats/oils used (down here fresh potato chips make a decent fire ant bait). In small amounts and kept covered with other materials, shouldn't be a problem.

o

Thank you all for the advice. I definitely don't want to attract any pests. I will just add the occasional handful and make sure to bury it.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here