Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting

Posted by Crab-Grass Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 19:17

I have some mini straw bales that I purchased from the craft store for front porch decorations. Can I compost them when I'm done or are they full of nasty chemicals? I don't want to waste them but if they're yucky for the soil then into the garbage they go! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting

No way of being certain but it's reasonable to think the straw is not contaminated just by the nature of intended use. Those bales are used on holiday dining tables and other places that demand clean material. Most are wheat stubble left after the wheat grain has been seperated.

o

• Posted by TXEB 9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 22:08

Many grain straws are questionable because of the herbicides that could have been used. If you don't know, it should be suspect.

o

It also depends on how much straw vs. the size of your compost. If it's a small portion of your compost, I wouldn't worry about it.

o

Until the last year I would have said yes.

But I am becoming very careful about my ingredients. Now I only use grass and leaves from my own yard.

For twelve years I have made compost. My main interest is tomatoes. Each year I added compost to my clay-ish soil.

The first five years I had great tomatoes (when I knew nothing), but the last five years the tomato crop has been very poor. Why?

This year I found out one neighbor, who's leaves I used for two years, has been bring workplace herbicides home because the retail products 'weren't strong enough'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here