Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

Black Soldier Fly Larvae in compost bin

leira
11 years ago

My compost bin is absolutely teeming with black soldier fly larvae...and the volume has been really seriously reduced. Wow!

Comments (16)

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    11 years ago

Nice.. that's like a halloween movie scene..

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Some think fly larva in compost piles is acceptable. Your local Public Haelth people will not since ot is knwon that flies pof many species are carriers of numerous diseases and they consider maggots in a compost pile a health hazard.

Here is a link that might be useful: fly larva in compost

• boreal_wormer
    11 years ago

Here's a previous thread with lots of info about Black Soldier Flies. They are not a pest fly.

Here is a link that might be useful: All about Black Soldier Fly

• ginger0530
    11 years ago

Help please! I just discovered I have hundreds of these things in my small compost bin. I live in a townhouse with only a small fenced patio area in the back, and I more or less winged a small compost bin (a round 2'x2' black storage bin). Right now it's covered with a plastic white garbage back, and an old white sheet.

I want to prevent these things growing into adult flies and somehow escaping because of the small area I have. How do I ensure that they die? I'm so grossed out that I can't even bear to lift the cover off!!!

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Get a dessicant, something like Blood Meal, and sprinkle it on those maggots and then take appropriate steps to prevent further hatches. These maggots are present mostly because a food source, your compost, is available and the moisture level is close to right which is too wet for proper composting.
    Maggots, contrary to what many people think, are not a good addition to the composting process.

• ceth_k
    11 years ago

I feel to urge to touch them....weird....

• bill13286
    11 years ago

As you can see, some people love them and some hate them. The flies are not a problem as they live a few days, breed and lay eggs then die. They do not even eat. I have had thousands of the larva and have never seen an adult fly other than at the compost bin. I think they are a part of the compost process and enjoy them being there, others disagree. ps...They are great fish food or bait, also good chicken feed. Good luck.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

How easy is it to tell whether you have House Fly Larva or Black Soldier Fly Larva? The ones I have seen are so close to look alikes that unless yo have both together yuou cannot really tell which you have.

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    10 years ago

Soldier fly larva is distinctly segmented with a tough skin. I have many in my worm bin kept in the garage. They break down food scraps quickly and I enjoy watching the adults fly around. I know it means my bin is on the wet side but I have plenty of worms that are thriving. I see many BSF adults but not house flies in my garage.

• bill13286
    10 years ago

Size - Housefly larvae reach a length of approx. 12mm and BSF larvae grow to 19mm (3/4 inches) or more. BSF larvae are much thicker than housefly larvae.

Appearance - Housefly larvae are smooth and BSF larvae have distinct ridges.

Development - If you're regularly observing the waste material and larvae you might get clues there. Housefly larvae mature in as little as 4 days under ideal conditions and BSF take a few weeks. Housefly eggs hatch in about a day and BSF eggs require 4.

• lkzz
    10 years ago

The larvae develop in animal waste, decaying fruits and vegetables, compost and mulch, and other plant matter.

They feed, in part, on other insect larvae.

Not a bad thing.

• VanZen
    10 years ago

Does anyone know if you can put jalapeno in a compost bin with black soldier fly larvae? I though lime would be bad for them, but apparently the worms don't care, what about jalapeno?

• boreal_wormer
    10 years ago

I don't think it'll be a problem. See the link below for photos of BSFL eating hot peppers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Pepper Poppers anyone?

• ainmusa
    10 years ago

Here is the link for a article that covers Composting techniques in the garden using Black Soldier Flies and Worm Bins. This article was published on Edthatmatters.com:

Next I will be covering Fall Gardening.

Enjoy!
    Troy Brooks

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting Using Black Soldier Flies

• Sonja W
    7 years ago

Hello. I would like to use this photo in a book. Please email sweldon (at) dinardodesign (dot) com. Thanks! Sonja