Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stinging nettles

Posted by vmarcos68 8A (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 22:26

Is it possibly to deny or confirm that stinging nettles is good for compost anyone? I have read somewhere that it can be utilized effectively in compost tea. If that is correct, would it be equally nutrient rich in solid compost? I am mostly concerned that it will propagate the stinging nettles when I go to use the compost as I get a strong allergic reaction to it and it does send runners which appear to be evasive.

Is this or any other plant possible to identify as a compost accelerant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stinging nettles

Stinging Nettles can be a good addition to the compost, just as any plant would be. As long as the roots, or viable seeds, are not put into the compost there should be no problem with spread.

o

I think any fresh, green, leafy plant will help the decomposition process. The way to improve decomposition is the *correct* amounts of greens and browns. I've used blood meal to speed things up but it made the mix too heavy in nitrogen and it became smelly, I had to add more browns. Obviously I used too much.

Nettles have attained a reputation over centuries for making good compost because they were a common herbal used for healing. So people grew them, drank the tea, and also made tea for their gardens and composted them. I'm sure they contain many valuable properties.

If you are concerned with sprouting you could make nettle tea first and use the spent plant material in the compost and the tea as a foliar spray or soil drench.

Have a look at the link posted for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: check out myth #10

o

my dad through them on, they have a very pretty purple flowers, and molded every British persons childhood, Pullovers for goalposts, Spam for Tea, Tadpole in a Jam jar, scuffed knees and hands and arms covered in nettle stings...happy days...
Thought I would share with you this peculiar English Competition!
I did laugh my socks off when the landlord of the pub said the original participants are dead now! I wondered how long there was between the competition and death? :)
PS Tea is our early evening meal! not that we made tea from spam...that really would be stupid!

Here is a link that might be useful: World stinging nettle championship

o

Nettles are good for eating. The sting and the sharp needles go away as soon as they are steamed. I wouldn't waste good stinging nettles on compost. I'd make myself a salad!

Rain2Fall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here