Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you build it, they will compost?

Posted by borderbarb San Diego county (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 2:39

Can you stand another news article? This one looks interesting for people climate challenged or apartment dwellers. It doesn't look big enough for waste from more than one person. And I'm sure I'd be struck by lightning if I ever bought such a thing. It may just be someone trying to make some bucks out of the 'green' movement.
...snip....Loos improvised--she reconfigured the blades of a paper shredder to grind up food, put a carbon filter on the top of a plastic box (to reduce odor), added a charcoal filter and antimicrobial waste storage system to cut down on pests, made room for biodegradable waste bags, and stuck a hand-crank (with child safety lock, natch) on the side of the device.

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting gimick?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you build it, they will compost?

That is just another way to seperate people from their money.

o

Sheesh. Borderbarb, we have to stop meeting like this; you're going to conclude I'm a perrenially cantankerous OF.

"It may just be someone trying to make some bucks out of the 'green' movement."

That's how I see it. Had it been conjured by a designer instead of a marketer, I'd call it criminal. Why?

Carbon/charcoal filters are great places to grow bacteria.

Paper shredder blades, even "reconfigured", present lots of crevices to harbour decaying matter. Is that an improvement over a simple container that can be washed?

Biodegradable waste bags might be convenient to throw onto your compost pile, but if you have a compost pile, do you need this device? If the user throws the bag into the garbage, why bother in the first place?

The injection molded housing will require land filling when its "useful" days are up. I could natter about the use of petroleum and plastic but my wife is getting the rope out...

o

Cleanup nightmare is right!!!1 Barb stick to rocket science please ;)

Curt

o

Some people just seriously need to save up and buy some land to work with.

o

Can you say G-I-M-M-I-C-K.

Greg
Southern Nevada

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 17:43

Wow. Some people seem to have strong opinions on stuff they have never even seen first hand, never mind tried.

If the company sent me one, I'd give it a "test drive" for them. ;-)

Lloyd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here