Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josko021

Surplus of seaweed

josko021
11 years ago

Sandy's dumped an amazing quantity of seaweed, mostly eelgrass, on our beach. I have to either use it, pay someone to haul it away, or hope another storm takes it off the beach somehow; my question is how much can I use on my garden without adverse effects? I've already got ~5 lbs per square foot on the veggie garden, sort of as a winter cover or mulch. I've got flowerbeds, rosebushes and berry patch thickly mulched with it, too.

I think I'm kind of maxed out in terms of what I can put on the garden (and have it mostly decompose by spring) and am not sure what to do with the rest of the stuff. I could just mound it up in a corner of the property, like a huge leafmold pile, and let it decompose at its own pace. Does it make sense to layer it with leaves? I know eelgrass decomposes very slowly when left alone in a pile - does anybody have insight how to speed up desomposition?

I'm talking about tens of cubic yards of volume.

Comments (10)

• luckygal
    11 years ago

How many tens of cubic yards are there? I had 60 cu.yds. of mulch delivered this year and it's really not a huge amount. If you have enough land to pile it up and ignore it until it decomposes that would be the best solution IMO. The goal would be to get it to decomp as quickly as possible with the least amount of work. Perhaps adding nitrogen as well as the leaves would help as you'd need as hot a pile as possible to get it to break down.

Anyone doing bulk composting in the area who will be interested in it? If so and you deliver it you might get some free finished compost in return.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

Can you just leave it there as a beach stabilizer? Here the seaweed collects sand and nourishes beach grass, which helps with beach erosion. I don't know where on the Cape you are, but some areas are constantly fighting erosion.

Claire

• josko021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We ended up renting a small backhoe and stacking about 15-20 yds of eelgrass, layered with whatever leaves we had, (couple cubic yards when compressed) and about 200 lbs of fish scrap 'strategically' distributed around the middle of the pile to provide some nitrogen. The pile is about 3x3x2(tall) yards and has been running about 100 deg, measured with a 20" thermometer. Animals don't seem to be disturbing it to get at the fish scrap, and there's no appreciable odor.
    It'll be interesting to see if much decomposition takes place; if not, I have a source of summer mulch for quite a while.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

I'd be interested as well in how fast eel-grass can break down in a pile like that.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

If it's heating up, something is definitely happening. The big question will be how long it takes to become compost. Luckily it's fall so it will have all winter to slowly break down.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

eel-grass, as we call it in the cape cod area, is wicked tough stuff. I have never had it in a such a large pile, but IME it takes a very long time to fully break down. So as I say, this will be an interesting experiment.

• josko021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FWIW, I noticed our recent snowfall melted off the eelgrass pile; indeed, a temp check showed ~120F in several locations 20" inside. Other than the lack of snow cover, the pile looks pretty much as it did when we made it.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

Ok, that's pretty interesting. it's cooking away. Don't forget to give a report at plating time as to the condition of the pile. Thanks...

• josko021
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a late update:
    The pile shrank to maybe 2/3 it's volume by springtime. Now, ~2 years later, there are still identifiable eelgrass chunks in it, but most are Only issue was a suspected N boon - I 've had lots of leafy growth and mediocre fruiting for the past couple years.
    I'll definitely continue using eelgrass on the veg. garden.

• idaho_gardener
    9 years ago

josko, thanks for the follow-up. It's always good to hear people's long-term results. I do remember reading you original post and feeling jealous about you access to seaweed. It's supposed to have superior amounts of trace minerals that garden soils need.

Paul