Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the best time to put compost in: now or spring?

Posted by sara_in_philly 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 9:09

I have dug out a lot of compost from my compost bin to make room for fresh yard waste. My question is should I put compost to my raised vegetable beds now or wait for next spring?

I would like to put it in now when the beds are relatively empty but worried about nutrients from compost would run off from all the rain and snow to come.

Right now the compost (with lots of worms) is sitting in different size containers well covered, I am worried that the worms may not survive the winter. I am in zone 6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the best time to put compost in: now or spring?

Whenever you have time. Seriously, yet my preference is the fall. I enjoy getting the gardens amended in the fall and then in the spring there is so much less work. In your case, I'd do it now for the sake of the worms. :O)

o

I'd do it now, too. The sooner you get worms pooping in your garden, the better.

o

Thank you both for reply! Should I worried that heavy rain will wash away all the nutrient? My vegetable beds are on a slope, not a very steep slope but a slope nevertheless.

o

The nutrients in compost are very stable and will not easily be washed out by rain, especially since they require bacterial activity to become available to your plants. Putting compost onto your beds now will allow the soil bacteria to get a good start on moving that compost, and therefore the nutrients, into your garden bed so those nutrients will be available to the plants when they start to grow next spring whereas waiting until spring means the nutrients in the compost probably will not be available to the plants until later in the growing season.

o

Thank you kimmsr! I will get busy today:-)

o

Sara,
If you toss some leaves or other mulch on top of the compost, you won't have as much run-off from the rain and snow.

Martha

o

When is the best time to put compost in?

TODAY!

o

iowa-- I hear you loud and clear!:-)
docmom -- Thanks for the leave suggestion!

o

• Posted by rdak z5MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 4:26

Anytime IMHO.

o

hi
Just wanted to say that I have gratefully read all the responses to this question of when to add compost. I live in R.I. and wanted to ask the same question. I shall follow the general concensus and get to spreading my compost this week.
Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here