Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1tonawanda8

Soil for Good Drainage

Tonawanda
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and have a project started that I could use some advice on.
I have a ditch and swail on the property that I have piped creating a drain, and now need to cover the stone with soil. Because of the significant pitch on both sides of the land going into this ditch, the swail will still exist when completed.
It is important to have soil that is firm and drains well and reasonably fast to prevent a large collection of standing water for a long time leaving wet or soft ground the length of this drain. The area being covered is very soft ground and/or muck. My intention is to plant grass over the area when completed.
I have access to fill (mostly clay), and my own mulch pile that has not broken down well yet (includes a lot of pine bark and chips and other small tree branches and dead vegetation). I can also purchase topsoil, landscape mulch, or other amendments although that would very costly.
My question is what types of soil or combination of soil and amendments do you think would be most appropriate to complete this project. i would expect to use 10 - 15 yards of soil to cover 100 feet of pipe, stone and fabric.
Thanks

Comments (3)