Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bokashi? Anyone tried this

Posted by notty1975 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 10:44

Hi all been doing bokashi for a while now and so far am very happy with it I started off buying the bran then went on and bought em1 and bran and gave ended up making the bokashi bran with shredded newspaper and it works well. So to try and cut the costs of doing bokashi further I was woundering if anyone have made there own em1 innoculant from some inoculated bran or bokashi juice. My thoughts are doing the same process but replace the em1 with bokashi bran or juice some molasses water and leave ferment so was woundering has anyone ever tried doing it this way thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bokashi? Anyone tried this

There are 28 threads on 'bokashi' in this forum alone.

There are a total of 98 posts in the whole of GW forums.

Use the 'Search' feature to find them.

I made newspaper bokashi for a year. Quit as it seemed to be a trendy, rather than a practical use of time. Mine was made from cheap rice rinse.

o

Yes I have used the "search" button and found nothing about the question I asked have also used the rice method but just woundering if it can be done from the bokashi or the bokashi juice from the bucket

o

So has anyone thought of or tried growing the innoculant from the bran

o

Hey notty1975, did you ever find an answer or do any experimentation?

The main reason that propagating EM might not work is that as you get further and further from the mother culture, the balance of beneficial bacteria will change and certain strains will get weaker. If you wanted to try propagating them, it seems like it would make more sense to do it from the EM mother culture or the inoculated bran. I'm guessing the bokashi juice would be more out of balance than the other two and would have more a chance of having some harmful bacterial strains in it. However, my biology is too weak for me to say for sure.

In any case, it seems worth trying to see how far you can extend your EM-1 or LAB (lactic acid bacteria). Most recommendations are against extending (x20) the mother culture more than once; however, most of those came from the companies, so I would imagine it's similar to expiration dates on food--things can't be guaranteed past a certain date. (Most food is fine after the expiration date; it just begins losing flavor; it's quite a lot longer before it actually goes bad.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here