Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants that like nitrogen soil

Posted by gramsharon 3-4 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 11:04

Hello,
My name is Sharon. I reside in zone 4, northern Mn. I l am a regular from the seed exchange forum. I've been amending my soil and came upon a question I hope I may have addressed here? What plants (flowers) like nitrogen based soil? I seem to recall hydrangeas, roddies and azaleas do. I just wonder what others are in that category? How about annuals as well?
Thank you.
Gramsharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants that like nitrogen soil

Not sure what you mean by "nitrogen based soil". Can you explain that a bit?

o

There is one plant family that I heard of which will take up excessive nitrogen from the soil until their plant tissues nitrogen reach intoxicating level and become unsuitable for human and animal consumption ----- Amaranth.

o

It sounds like you're looking for acidic soil loving plants given the plants you listed.

You can do a quick web search and get many lists of plants.

o

Soils in Minnesota tend to be acidic, a low soil pH, but since Nitrogen is fairly volatile I would not think that would be the soil problem you are thinking. Linked below is a list from Purdue and I am sure your University of Minnesota Cooperative Extension Service would have that information as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for acidic soils

o

Thank you for the input. I didn't realize nitrogen soil is the same as acidic soil. I had done a google search for nitrogen soil with few results. Using acidic soil is what I needed to do. Happy gardening.
Gramsharon

o

First...plants that tend to like nitrogen soil...the simple answer would be yes. Right up to the point that excessive amounts kills them, which is possible, but rare under most conditions.

Acidic soil is not the same as nitrogen soil. While other elements do compete for uptake (aluminum would be an example), the definition of acid is the concentration of hydrogen.

so how do soils in MN wind up being mostly acidic?

I'd really like to know. Because after having lived and worked there (in agriculture and horticulture), I can tell you this much: If you spent any time in the gardening world, you learned which areas were acidic in nature. They were so abnormal as to be worthy of note.

It was actually a shock to me that oaks and maples could have summer time colors other than yellow.

o

First time I ever heard of acidic soils referred to as "nitrogen based" or "nitrogen soils".

Until I got to TX all of soils I dealt with were acidic, and liming was a periodic exercise. The calcareous clay here was a new experience.

o

"so how do soils in MN wind up being mostly acidic?"

It's mostly a property of northern MN soils because of a mix of historical geology + common plants. A huge chunk of northern MN used to be underwater lake land and a lot of the plants/trees common up there are evergreen pines and similar.

In Western and Southern MN, it's not uncommon to find soils closer to neutral or alkaline.

o

Most any soil scientist will tell you that the soils in Minnesota are acidic because of the amount of rain they receive each year. As a general rule soils east of the Mississippi tend to be acidic while those westward tend to be alkaline, all due to the amount of rainfall.

o

"... all due to the amount of rainfall."

While rainfall contributes to the result, it is not the most significant determinant of soil pH. Most soil scientists will tell you that the geological origin and the attendant soil texture along with marine sediment incorporated into the soil is more significant than rainfall.

o

"What plants (flowers) like nitrogen based soil?"

When soils are high in nitrogen, such as those amended heavily with manures, they will grow leaves well, but may not flower well or, over time, be as healthy as they would be in a more balanced soil. One fall I mulched with what was supposed to be well-aged manure. Over the next several years the leaves on the Lady's Mantle plants grew huge and flopped over and my hydrangea in that bed did not flower well. Only now, 3 years later, are the plants beginning to look more 'normal' altho the Lady's Mantle leaves are still larger than those of other LM plants in other areas of my garden. Obviously, to me, I applied too much of the old manure and it created an unbalanced soil high in nitrogen.

From everything I've read high nitrogen is not the same as normal soil acidity altho perhaps high nitrogen might lead to acidity until it leached/gassed out and the soil reverted to it's normal pH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here