Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelud1

PH Tester

joelud
9 years ago

Hi, Great forum.
Does anyone have a recommendation on PH and fertility testers.
I just bought a country home and tilled up a 60x20 garden, which was a considerable amount of work. I'd like to hit the ground running in the spring. I'm upstate ny.
thanks

Comments (8)

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Most of us here don't trust most of the meters. If you have an area that large, take one or two composite samples to a soil lab and have them analyzed for more accurate results. Many counties in the US have Ag Extension offices where you can get testing relatively inexpensively. I recommend testing for P and K (N is optional, it varies by season, temps, rainfall etc. so it's of limited use for gardeners anyway); also micronutrients like Ca, Mg, Fe, etc.; pH; and organic matter content. Unless something is way out of whack based on those results, you won't really need to constantly monitor anyway. Plus, the labs usually give you recommendations for amendments.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I agree with tox that having a professional soil test done at least once is advisable. Nutrient testing kits found at nurseries and garden centers are a waste of money and totally inaccurate. OTOH, the pH testers (not the meters, unless very pricey models) can provide reasonably accurate results if done properly using distilled water (not tap water).

• nil13
    9 years ago

Send it to a lab.

If you really need to test pH often, something like the link below is a good place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ph tester

• joelud
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks alot.
    As i understand the property and area used to be a pasture, but there are few dandelions, which leads me to believe the soil may be alkaline

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Dandelions are well adapted to grow in about any soil pH, although they do seem to prefer slightly (pH 7.5) alkaline soils.
    Without spending a lot of money on soil testers (hundreds of dollars) most of them are not very reliable and do not really give you the information you need. A pH meter might give a close indication of the soils pH but no information on why it is that or what needs to be done to correct that pH. Does the soil need Calcium or Magnesium? How much is needed to correct that pH? Then again, I have tested $50.00 pH meters that tell me that Vinegar and a baking soda solution have the same pH.
    Where in the United States are you? The US is a large country with vastly different growing conditions that may affect what information you are given.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

He's in upstate New York, so theoretically not too far from me.

What I would do is to contact Cooperative Extension, and ask how to have Cornell do a full soil test. Different counties have slightly different protocols (some give you a bag mailer to send the soil to Cornell, some will do that for you if you bring the sample to them)

Once you have the results of that soil test, you will know what sorts of changes you should make. Within 20 miles of me, normal pH ranges from about 4.5 to 8.0, so any generalizations aren't going to work. If you find you have a fairly high pH, and want to grow things like blueberries, then you do need to figure out how to do some regular pH monitoring. Indicator liquids are good enough, but can be hard to find. It is a different question, though.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

It's so rare to run into someone on the forum who is so close to the questioner that they can really nail the answer with specific local info. Way to go mad_g!

• joelud
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The soil is gravelly loam. Web soil survey says its a glacial plain.
    Thanks for the advice, Ill get the Cornell CO test.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths