Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
symplestytches

what to do when tumbler is full?

symplestytches
9 years ago

Hi, I purchased a Yimbly compost tumbler back in September and have both bins full(ish) of materials. I was wondering if I should just keep adding until both bins are completely full, or if I should let it "cook" until it's ready? If I let it cook, what do I do with food scraps and such in the meantime, dump them out?

thanks,
Anna

Comments (9)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Dump them in a spot hole half a foot down in the dirt. All over the place at random. They will become one with the soil perhaps faster than if they were in the tumbler. It's amazing how fast kitchen garbage disappears that way.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Buy another? I can usually find a bin at the dump's recycletown. That way I can get another started while the first cooks. Or store all the leaves til I can use them. Nancy

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

At 36 inches by 28 inches by 26 inches that "composter" is too small to convert yard and kitchen waste into compost in any time frame much less 2 weeks as advertised. The directions that came with it may have stated to not fill if more then about 2/3 or 3/4 full because the material needs room to tumble around in there and mx.
    You could do as grubby_me stated and bury your waste in the garden.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

If you have two bins, when the first gets full, stop adding to it and let it finish. Add to the second one. If the second one gets full before the first one is completely turned to compost, dump it out anyway and let it cure in a pile or use it as mulch or dig it into a vacant space (depending upon season). Always add to only one bin and have the other one cooking.

• symplestytches
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for all the replies! Now i have tons of ways to keep composting, since I can't use the garbage disposal, as we are on septic here. I do have a bed or two in the garden that are inactive at the moment, maybe i'll start mixing stuff into those.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

You can just make a pile on top of a bed also, except with kitchen scraps you have to evaluate the critter issues for your location. But fall cleanup yard waste makes a great winter compost pile blanket over garden beds. If your soil is really bad you can fallow one bed each growing season and compost on top of it. It helps the soil immensely. If you don't want to give up growing space you can remove that compost pile in the spring and put it somewhere else, till till it in if it's done, or plant through it.

Happy gardening and keep us posted on how it goes!

• Laurel Zito
    9 years ago

I would put it in a regular bin with access to the ground for further finishing, as the worms and the contact with the ground is useful for finishing.

• renais1
    9 years ago

I've used home-made tumblers the size you have, and, as noted above, two weeks is a bit short of a time to expect finished, or nearly finished material. I find that three to four weeks, with tumbling every couple days, makes for a product that is dark in color, mostly broken down, and ready for putting in potting mix, or to be set out to finish maturing. If, after a week or so you don't see significant changes, it might mean that you need a bit of a nitrogen fertilizer addition to increase the decomposition rate. I've used alfalfa, comfrey, or chemical fertilizers for this. If you use alfalfa or comfrey, I'd suggest starting with a couple quarts of leaves. If using 13-13-13, I use about half a cup for the size container you have. Good luck and have fun.
    Renais

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Everything I see about this very small "composter" is that it is a two bin thing making each bin jus under 18 inches wide. It simply is not big enough to do what the manufacturer indicates it should.
    The link below is a very good tutorial on making compost quickly that I have posted many times before.

Here is a link that might be useful: making compost in 14 days