Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

How much potash?

kentstar
12 years ago

I got the soil test back and it calls for .75 cups of potash per 100 sq ft of area. One of my beds is 60 sq ft, one is only 20 sq ft and one is only 7.5 sq ft. How much potash (using muriate of potash at 0-0-60) would I have to use in each bed. I am confused about how to calculate this, since the beds are pretty small.

Comments (10)

• gargwarb
    12 years ago

The 60 sq. ft. bed would be .45, about 1/2 cup
    The 20 sq. ft. bed would be .15, about 2 1/2 tablespoons
    The 7.5 sq. ft. bed would be .06, about 1 tablespoon

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

Interesting, I've never seen test results in cups per 100 sq ft.

The way you figure that (which gargwarb has done already) is (square feet of bed) divided by (100 sq ft.) and multiply the result by 0.75 to get cups for that bed.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gargwarb. I figured it isn't going to be a large amount.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

A cup, about one pint, spread over that area is such a negligable amount that it is not worth the time and energy to try and spread it. Moe then likely adding compost would be enough to raise the level of Potash enough.

• gargwarb
    12 years ago

Although greenwaste compost would be my first choice too, 0.75 cups of fertilizer per 100 sq.ft. is a pretty good amount.

0.75 cups of muriate of potash (0-0-60) is about 7.5 ounces per 100 sq. ft. or, to put it in terms that are more familiar for most, 4.7 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. That would put you at about 2.8 lbs of actual potassium per 1000 sq. ft. That's pretty typical and should do the trick. Remember, you don't want to over-apply, especially those really soluble sources.

And how much time and energy does it really take to spread a little more than 1/2 cup of fertilizer over 87.5 sq. ft.? (a little less than a 9 foot by 10 foot area total).

• Lloyd
    12 years ago

"A cup, about one pint,.."

Measurements might be different in the States, but a pint up here is two cups. Just sayin'.

Never spread a cup (1/2 pint) of anything over a garden but time and energy wise, I'm bettin' spreading the compost would take more of each. (and I have spread a lot of 'post)

Lloyd

• Lloyd
    12 years ago

I've never spread a cup (1/2 pint) of anything over a garden but time and energy wise, I'm bettin' spreading the compost would take more of each. (and I have spread a lot of 'post)

Lloyd

P.S. Sometimes the fingers omit typing the words from the voice in my head. :-(

• kentstar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, since my compost isn't ready yet, probably not till spring or even next fall, I have to add something for now. A little bit of potash should do the trick at least until the "post" has popped lol. And, yes I would much rather add the compost if I could, but I can't yet, bummer...

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Depending on the type of Potash you add now and the amount of organic matter in your soil you may well find that most of it has been leached from the soil by spring if there is not enough of that OM to help hold it there.
    Any compost you started now should be ready, finished, by next spring.

• Molex 7a NYC
    12 years ago

1 cup = 8 oz
    3/4 cup = 6 oz
    2 cup = 16oz

A pint is a pound the world around
    (not to be used for baking or liquid measure)