Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can maple be used as mulch?

Posted by jtown_4 Rhode Island (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 15:00

Recently we needed to remove a very large silver maple tree for replacement of septic. After grinding the stump, a lot of maple wood chips are left. Can I use these wood chips as mulch? Can I use them as mulch at the foundation of my house?
In the past I have used cedar mulch.If not good for mulching, can I use them in my wood stove?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can maple be used as mulch?

Yes, you can use them as mulch.

I have heard that it's not a good idea to pile mulch next to a foundation ... termites might move intothe mulch and then into the house.

They don't work well in a wood stove (small chips = lots of smoke)

o

Anybody know about artillery fungus in Silver maple? I would check that out before using next to the house, it's nasty stuff.

Curt?;/

o

Maple wood chips can be used as a mulch just as any other wood chips can be. If the wood was still green when that wood was chipped it will not make a very good fuel in a wood stove since it will require more heat to burn then it would generate,
I know people that have had termites in their house and they did not have any garden beds around the house much less any mulch and I know people that have had wood chips on garden beds next to the foundation and have not, yet, seen any sign of termites. Woody mulches next to the house are not necessarily the reason one has termites.

o

Maple is certainly usable as a mulch, go ahead and use it.

Not goood using any wood in small chips in the fire, as stated, too smoky.

NEVER use ANYthing right up against your house that could be an aid to letting water get onto the house above the level where the house has been set at time of building. If you pile anything up against your house (wood/mulch/bricks/ANYTHING) you are inviting water to get into your house, PERIOD! I have helped fix these problems for friends way too many times over the years from people who just slap a garden bed up against the house without bothering to make sure the water etc can't get into the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here