Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mushrooms growing in the compost bin

Posted by mgb1 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 07 at 15:21

I've been composting (black plastic bin) for about a year. This morning I checked on some compost that is almost done and there were about 2 dozen or so 6" long mushrooms growing in the bin. Having not seen this before I'm wondering why they now suddenly appreared.

Not being an expert on mushrooms, I'm wondering if they're edible or not. I also folded them back in to the compost but got to thinking if they are poisonous or psychoreactive can I still use the compost in my winter season vegetable garden?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mushrooms growing in the compost bin

They appeared because spores from some kind of mushroom landed in the compost when conditions were right for the mushrooms to grow. You may have had more woody material this time. They're just a part of the composting process.

o

The compost is safe to use on your garden. Even if the mushrooms are dangerous (they probably are not safe to eat which is the general rule about mushrooms unless you are an expert or get them at the grocery) it is your veggies you plan to eat and not the compost I hope.

o

Mushrooms/toadstools growing in compost bins is quite common and perfectly normal but as a search here will show, it is a common question often asked by those new to the composting process. ;) If you want more assurances that it is nothing to worry about, just do a search using the title of your post for many previous discussion about it.

Happy composting!

Dave

o

let em grow they will help decompose all the stuff you put in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here