Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Im building raised beds and

Posted by ohioveggies (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 17:49

im putting in soil and a bit of compost mixed. I am going to top it with a mulch of shredded leaves and some grass clippings. I put the beds on top of the ground with the turf off. If I want to bring worms up to start working the hard soil underneath what would you suggest to help it along? I was thinking maybe trying some with cardboard on top of my fresh soil/compost then the grass and leaves on top, would that work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Im building raised beds and

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 19:40

There's no need to remove the turf - simply cover with a layer of cardboard or several thicknesses of newsprint & fill. Not to worry - the worms will find your set-up and take up residence quickly whether you put cardboard between your soil and mulch or not.

Al

o

Well we removed the grass already a while ago. The beds are in a new hoophouse and I wanted to start off weed free. Thanks for the thoughts!

o

• Posted by val_s z5 central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 21:03

As long as you have decaying matter in there the worms will come. My grandma use to wrap her potato peelings in newspaper and bury them in the garden for her "little worm friends".

Val

o

You know thats a good idea, i'll just do some pockets of my compost matter in there!

o

If your impatient (like me) you could always buy some fishing worms (red wrigglers are best for composting) and add them yourself.
most gas stations near a lake or river have them.
best of luck

o

Contrary to what many people seem to think Red Wiggler worms are seldom found in soils, they do not live in soils but instead live where there is a large volume of organic waste to digest. Adding Red Wigglers to your garden may be a waste of your money.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Red Wigglers

o

I collected some grass clippings for now to cover the beds. I dont want the soil to get too compacted before the plastic goes over the hoophouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here