Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Applying Fertilizer in the Fall?

I have some bags of Planttone and Hollytone that I never used this season. Since it is organic fertilizer and I've read that it takes awhile to break down in the soil, I thought maybe it would work to spread that this Fall instead of waiting for Spring. Good idea or no?

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Depends. How much organic matter is in the soil? How soluble are those "fertilizers"? What does a good reliable soil test say about what that soil needs?
    Insufficient amounts of organic matter in the soil to help hold nutrients is not good, even if the "fertilizers" are organic.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Good idea or no?

Depends :-)) Mid to late fall (after a killing frost) is an excellent time to fertilize trees and shrubs. Their nutrient demand does not disappear in winter although it does slow. But it is a time when roots are still active and able to process and metabolize nutrients and store them for use when active top and leaf growth begins again in spring.

The issue with applying organic fertilizers - like the Hollytone and Planttone - at this time is that there is usually insufficient time for them to become available to the plants during this active root period. Organic fertilizers like these are not water soluble (very few organics are). They require the activity of soil organisms to convert them into plant accessible forms -- that's why they are by definition a slow release source of nutrients. But once soils start to cool, the soil organisms start to become less active. Generally, you need soil temps of 45-50F for the organisms to be active enough to consume and process the organic materials. And those temps may just not be available in your area when that killing frost occurs.

Will those materials still be there when the soil organisms start waking up in spring? For the most part yes, although there will be some degradation. But obviously that is too late for the plants to receive the benefit of the fall fertilization. So it's kind of your choice as to apply now or wait until spring....either timing won't hurt. In your area, I might wait until spring just to make sure those products are delivering their maximum goods :-)

The statement "insufficient amounts of organic matter in the soil to help hold nutrients is not good, even if the "fertilizers" are organic" makes no sense. Organic fertilizers ARE organic matter - whether you apply OM as a compost top dressing or more directly as a packaged fertilizer, the nutrient benefits and method of delivery remain the same. As does the stimulation of the soil biology. It's just that the soil biology will not be very highly stimulated - if at all - during the winter months.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

when i think of it ... i usually throw some HT around my rhodie in fall ... with its 4-3-4 formula ... there isnt much it can do .. this late in fall ...

BUT I NEVER TRIED A WHOLE BAG ..... or two .... and there is your issue ... a little of this or that usually doesnt hurt anything ....

besides all that.. why not just store the bags dry and use it next year??? .. my bag of HT is 14 years old .. lol.. i dont fert much ...

ken

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim, IâÂÂm always laying down a heavy mulch of chopped leaves, but I suppose that doesnâÂÂt guarantee anything. I know I need a soil test, thanks.

GardenGal, thanks for that explanation, IâÂÂd forgotten about the needed soil activity and that it is slowed to a crawl in winter. I think you are right, I may as well wait until spring. Well that saves me one more job to do this Fall. :-)

Ken, I wasnâÂÂt sure it would hold itâÂÂs potency over the winter and I donâÂÂt fertilize often either. My bags are probably 2 years old. 14 years old?? They sure arenâÂÂt making any money off you. lol

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The Soil Food Web continues quite active even as air temperatures drop since it takes quite some time for soil temperatures to drop as low as the air, one reason why the first snow falls melt almost as quickly as is covers the ground. Where the planting beds are covered with mulches the newly fallen snow lasts much longer then it does on grass or bare soil.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kim, every year, it seems more unpredictable about when the air temps are going to drop and stay there and when and if snow will arrive. If I had laid the fertilizer back in September, it would have had a chance to do a bit of breaking down by now. But again, depending on how much soil activity I have I suppose.