Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting ceder

Posted by mgb_garden2 5/eastern Wv (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 7:07

Our property has about five acres of ceder and broad leaf trees mixed and this past winter, we had a lot of tree damage from heavier than normal snowfall. Our broadleaf trees did okey, but our ceders were not not so lucky. I am removing the fallen and damaged ceders, using the logs and larger branches for garden beds and posts, but I have lots of greens and small braches that I am shredding. My question is-"Can I put this shredded ceder in my compost bins,( I have several in different stages) or should I use it for mulch around the yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting ceder

Can I put this shredded ceder in my compost bins,( I have several in different stages) or should I use it for mulch around the yard?...

You can do either, but personally, I would use for mulch first, then if you absolutely need it for additions to your compost, go for the compost. When I get opportunities and materials like that, I mulch first letting nature break it down in place which saves the work of bringing a load back later to mulch with the composted material.

o

If by cedar you mean Eastern Red (Juniper) or Eastern White (Arborvitae), I've composted and mulched with both.

tj

o

I too have composted a lot of both Cedrus and Juniperus. It takes a while. I like to start by making a loose brush pile and waiting for it to get bone dry. Then I trample the pile to break it into smaller pieces. This works even better if the weather is below freezing. When the brush pile is well broken and I have some green yardwaste too, I make a compost pile.

o

Keep wood OUT of any composting pile. Wood breaks down slowly....and some hardwoods take forever to break down.
Such breakdown of wood robs the pile of much needed nitrogen which is used for breakdown of other material.

o
RE: Composting cedar

Western Red Cedar is noted to be pretty resistant to rotting while most others are not. If what you have is Eastern White Cedar there is very little rot resistance in that wood so it could be composted.
However, the best use of shredded wood is as a mulch.

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 7:55

Many larger compost operators use wood chips/shavings in processing materials during composting. It does more than just provide carbon. Aeration, porosity, odour control just to name a few. It is often screened out and reused in new piles.

Wood chips/shavings work well as mulch but if used in an area subjected to idiots flicking their cigarette butts, keep in mind the potential for fire.

So the answer to your question is "both".

Lloyd

o

Thanks for all the tips! If I would have done my homework I would have not looked like such a novice. I am composting about 10% of the evergreen chips in with the garden waste and lots of leaves.Hope to manage the acidity that way. The rest I am using for mulch around. I never thought five acres would be so much mulch to deal with.
As for the smokers and their butts--no smoking at my house!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here