Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing Compost

Posted by Cincinnati none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 7:38

How long can finished compost be stored without beneficial bacteria dying off?

I usually dump my cooked compost from barrel chambers into 32 gal Rubbermade trash cans. After about 3 months, I sift it thru a 1/4" screen and place the fines into another 32 gal Rubbermade can until I need it - sometimes a year later, other times maybe it is used immediately.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing Compost

Compost keeps.

The fungi, bacteria, and microorganisms are active DURING the composting process, not so much at the end.

When the composting process is finished, they move or die off. If I expressed this incorrectly, someone will correct me.

o

You can store them in barrels, plastic bags, or make a pile and cover it with plastic, to keep it dry. Once the compost is finished then you don't need them anymore . Job well done, thank you, good by.

o

If the bacteria, fungi, etc., were active only during the composting process then what causes compost in the soil to "disappear"?
How long you can store finished compost depends on the temperature and moisture levels it is stored at, but the bacteria are active, somewhat slower, all the time in compost. The dryer the compost is when stored the less bacterial activity there will be and the longer you can keep it. The bacteria will not die off although they will go dormant.
That sais the single best place for finished compost is in the soil.

o

If it's not completely dry it will continue to decompose very slowly and shrink accordingly.

Although it will keep, I agree the best time to use it is right when it's done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here