Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsoh_ohzone5

Trash can compost bin, center air tube or not?

lsoh
14 years ago

Given neighborhood limitations, I'm trying to make compost in a trash can. I drilled a series of small air holes in the sides and in the bottom of a rubber trash can. I do not expect this small pile to heat up.

Question 1: I've read that the pile needs air. I already have a scrap piece of 6" diameter pvc pipe with a series 2" holes drilled on all sides. I could set that vertically in the center of the can to get air into the center of the pile. On the other hand, I've read that the composting occurs at the center of the pile, not the edges. But that pvc pipe would pretty much remove any material from the center. So would I be better off with or without the center pipe? (I don't anticipate turning this pile often)

Quesiton 2: I've read that that the pile needs some water. I don't anticipate carrying water out to this pile. I could leave the lid off when the pile is dry to catch rain. And that would get more air to the top of the pile. On the other hand, seems like the top material probably won't compost unless it's covered. So, should I leave the lid on or off?

Thanks

Comments (4)