Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annpat_gw

Where do I post a brag?

annpat
14 years ago

How about here? Yesterday I copped a truckload of leaves right out from under Martha Stewart's nose. A friend of mine called me yestermorn, and said, "I've got a truckload of leaves if you want them. If you don't want them, I'm taking them to Martha's. She's got a big pit for leaves." I said, "I want them. I've got people online to outdo."

So any of you have anything to brag about? Have you beaten a famous person to a truckload of leaves? Or anything else bragworthy?

Comments (74)

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh! Good! That's what I wanted!!
    Thank you, Laura!

• auntyara
    14 years ago

annpat
    LOL! You're too FUNNY!
    you welcome,
    :)Laura

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

I live in the same county as the Judds--never have seen them or even any of their garbage. ;(

I did get four bags of fresh grass clippings, five bags of shredded leaves, and four old jack o'laterns today off ONE street on the way home from dropping off the DS at school today, though. Not only that, but now it's all nicely mixed into the pile--wetted down with rain barrel water.

Some of that rain water might have evaporated from Ashley's pool before it fell back on my roof.

• earthyworthy
    14 years ago

annpat I sure thought this was going to be a story on your Nov. 1 pumpkin haul and I was really looking forward to it. But this brag post is pure joy to read!!! I love it. So far I have been able to find one leaf in my yard but will get out my binoculars to find more. Did I read right?1250 bags of leaves? Is this a joke or for real--hard to tell in some of these posts!

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

1250 - no joke. I'm now hearing I might only get 3 or so truckloads today, I guess I'll just have to be patient and see. Friday still looks like a lot though. The weather forecast is calling for a decent weekend up here so maybe people will finish off their yard work finally.

Nobody famous though. :-(

Lloyd

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Lloyd,
    That's some mighty impressive Bragging!!!
    yep I'm jealous of you too.

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've got my fa fa fingers in my e e ears to ka ka keep from hearing la la loyd. He's a terrible bra bra braggart, Laura. Be jealous of me, not Lloyd. Ok?

First of all---Curt, tak sa myckette which is poorly spelled Swedish for thank you for appreciating my Martha upsmanship.
    Sylvia, thank you for teaching me a phrase that my other two Texans never taught me----Y'all're... Brittany only taught me 'All y'all', which comes in handy, but I see 'y'all're' being much more useful.

flora, I sure am a fan. I'm gobsmacked. (Sarathe(other)Brit taught me that.)

petalpatsy, The NESWNSEW compost inspection station is located here in my backyard somewhere near Brewer, Maine. Y'all're wecome to avail yourself of my services. I would certainly be able to detect traces of Judd feedstock if samples were sent for inspection. (1 dry weight gallon, please, not baggie gallons.)

earthworthy, the little slackers in my town didn't steal and smash a single pumpkin this year as far as I can tell. I am flat out disgusted with children nowadays.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

I love "gobsmacked".

"the little slackers in my town didn't steal and smash a single pumpkin this year as far as I can tell.
    I am flat out disgusted with children nowadays."

They have no role models.

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

True, Sylvia. Kids around here don't even soap windows around Halloween. When I was a kid the wasn't a window in the neighborhood left unsoaped. Was my neighborhood the only place this happened?

Annapat, despite all the one-upmanship of other members of the forum, I am duly impressed.

Karen

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Karen.

(I'm glad none of you jumped all over jim about his sickening post. I find it best just to ignore him when he gets like that.)

• randy_coyote
    14 years ago

And here I was, proud of the 2 boxes of overripe bananas I scored today ... now I stand impressed and humbled and knee deep in bananas.

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

I'll agree with Ann. Sometimes it's best to ignore me.
    I recall saying in another post that I might not ever put bread in my compost again so if I ever bring it up again just remind me of that.
    BTW Ann, your mountain of leaves is awesome!
    jim_6b

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think it's your name. My brother's name is Jim and I often have to ignore him.

randy!! "knee-deep in bananas...." (I'm beginning to wish I hadn't brought this subject up. It's bringing out the worst in some of you subtle braggards.)

• susan_on
    14 years ago

Ok, I HAD to come out of lurkdom to tip my hat to all of you... you are all too funny!

Annpat, I love Martha, but she'll do fine without those leaves. Great snag!

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

susan, we were hoping to lure you out.

tj, it went over my head, too. I thought, "What is wrong with tj, and why is he making up such ridiculously obvious lies?"

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Ha!
    Today I found a sweet dumping spot for shredded leaves and old mulch. Not only did I score 61 more bags of leaves I also broke a record. I can fit 21 full to the top bags of shredded leave in my hyundai santa fe hatch back. Now that's bragging!
    I had to open 16 bags to reuse them so all included I collected 152 bags.
    And I total got tj joke too. so Ha! It is on annpat.

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yikes almighty, Laura. Who put a bee in your bonnet?

152 bags! I was so busy bragging, I let you get ahead of me.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    14 years ago

annpat,,

Not to worry. Your golden gilted celebrity leaves are much higher in quality than Lloyd's old tired common leaves.

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Really?:)!!!
    Yahoo!
    DH called me a quitter for not going for 9 more bags to break 100.( and I thought I was the crazy one,)
    and that's when I got this tip on the dump. I decided to just get the 9 and I saw this pile and my eyes glazed over. You know what I mean? And I thought of You! lol,
    "I got people online I gotta out do"

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

"much higher in quality than Lloyd's old tired common leaves."

Heavy sigh, always the bridesmaid, never the bride, story of my life.

But wait, I got one of them garden hand rake thingies in one of the bags, that's gotta count for something.

The guys couldn't get the leaves out on Thursday so they brought them all on Friday. SIXTEEN loads! 150 bags per load. Whoot!

Anybody want to come and help me unbag them before it snows?

Lloyd

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

I'm sure your brother is a good person with a great sense of humor. Most Jim's are.
    I'm up to 72 bags of leaves. Nothing to brag about but my DW is having a fit. I told her not to look at them and they won't bother her.
    jim_6b

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Lloyd, do you just scatter the leaves over the stubble?

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Initially yes, but then it's worked in with a cultivator.

Lloyd

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Ever willing to demonstrate an astounding level of ignorance on my part..... that looks like wheat stubble? What crop rotations do you use?

Around here the farmers who don't have irrigation do a (more or less) pinto bean, then winter wheat, then fallow rotation, while the ones with irrigation do alfalfa, alfalfa, and alfalfa.

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Yup spring wheat. Usually that's all I grow but on occasion I have done barley in the past.

With the yard trimmings program, I am trying a wheat-wheat-fallow rotation with the fallow getting 300-400 metric tonnes of yard trimmings. Irrigation not required in my locale.

My farm equipment is old and my knowledge is lacking so I am limited in what I grow.

I use this to spread the trimmings/leaves and work it into the land. The tractor cost me 3 grand about 6 years ago, doesn't owe me a thing.

Lloyd

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

It looks like you kinda 'scratch' the leaves in. Can you get that done in the fall, or have to wait until spring/early summer?

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Some years I get it done in the fall, some years it waits. Because the field will be fallow all next summer getting the spring/summer trimmings on it, there isn't a panic in the fall.

I arrange the stuff in what I call 'cells' and every time a cell is filled I work it in and also go over the previous cells as well.

I stole borrowed the idea from here

Lloyd

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Lloyd, do you have much problems with 'other stuff' in the bags? I can understand a hand leaf rake, but wondering if other kinds of trash - plastics and metal cans and junk that won't break down - is a problem.

• darenka
    14 years ago

OK, this has nothing to do with famous leavings or leaves, but I have to brag anyway. And I know my pathetic little boast doesn't warrant an entire thread in such vaulted company. I missed trash pick up and I'm not in a panick plotting ways to sneak my trash around town or hide it in the recycling bins to frustrate the 'lloyds' in their work. Considering that my trash bin is 80 liters and it only gets picked up 1x a month--that's a major accomplishment. (I am American-trained and used to a 200 liter trash can pick up 1x a week.) My composter has saved me! I'll have to be extra careful this month, but I can do it. I thought they were joking when they told me the biggest single household container was 80 liters. Why next year, I might even be able to scale back to the 'normal' 40 liter container, and shun my trashy American ways. I could buy several composters with the money I save with a smaller trash can. hhummmm....

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Yes there are at times trash in the bags. The town sends out notices but not everyone reads them. One year some bags were randomly marked with house addresses and if trash was found in an id'ed bag a letter went out.

This year the town and I signed up to get some yoots that had to serve community time. They went around and picked up trash as necessary. That helped a lot.

One can hope that it gets better as more people become aware but 100% compliance is not feasible.

Lloyd.

• terrene
    14 years ago

Wow, I am stunned and still trying to process Loyd's bags of leaves, thus I have no comment or brag.

To Lloyd - how do you open all those bags of leaves and do you have a mountain of plastic trash bags leftover??

• luckygal
    14 years ago

While outwardly I congratulate you Annpat on scoring those leaves right out from under Martha's nose, inwardly I am trying to think how I can compost the dastardly "green" envy I am feeling. I had thot my score of 40 bags of leaves were a major composting coup but I see I am mistaken. Gotta get more. Have been busy with other things and sadly letting compost slip down on the list of "Life's Very Important Things".

I read part of this thread to DH while laughing hysterically and he's going to help the "Crazy Lady" he's married to find more leaves tomorrow! He's coming around but he's still a long way from maniacal crazy composter status.

Stay tuned, I'm again on the leaf search. Might be too late but the snow is not here yet.

Great scores everyone but we all have to realize we'll never out-do Lloyd, dammit!

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Well I cut the bottom with a knife and throw the bag a few feet away, I go around and around til the pile is spread out and then I dump the bags out. It takes 30-40 minutes per load.

I stuff 75 bags into another bag and they all get thrown into a dumpster the town gives me. I have wracked my brain trying to think of a better way but I have no say over the town by-law process and it is the easiest way for the pick-up crews to do their job. It is a shame that these bags only get used for a few days max and then thrown out.

3 more loads came out today and I'll probably get 3 tomorrow and 5 on Friday. The weather is going to turn soon but I hope we get all the leaves onto the field before that happens, otherwise they go to the landfill. I'm going to see if I can line up half a dozen students to come out on Saturday at noon to work for a few hours.

Lloyd

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Oh and by the way, almost everyone around here (the whole frickin' town) thinks I'm nuts too. I think that's why I like reading these threads, I realize I'm not alone. Sort of a kindred spirit kind of thing.

Lloyd

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(I touched Jimi Hendrix.)

• joebob
    14 years ago

as a former hippie in my past life i gotta say ---

" 'scuse me while i kiss the sky "
    you will always win with the hendrix reference annpat

Lloyd ---i recycle the plastic bags at the local walmart ---anything like that program in the great white north or is it not feasable???----and punt the whole frickin town---life is way to short to worry a whole lot 'bout what other people think ---

my 2cents-----JB

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I think I got a solution, here, Lloyd, plastic bag wise. In Africa, when they found that all those thrown out plastic bags were killing their goats, they got inventive (see link).

Now, I'm thinkin' with those larger bags you could do sorta a 'wax museum' - full sized famous people made out of woven trash bags, enacting famous scenes in history. Think a life-sized Jimi Hendrix; guitar in one hand, Annpat clinging to the other.

You could use them as scare crows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration at your fingertips

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

WHOA!! If'n I take up crocheting they will lock me up! But I wonder how many dolls I could make with over 30000 bags?

Lloyd

P.S. Is this Jimi Hendrix dude someone important?

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

He wasn't until Annpat touched him.
    jim_6b

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hah!

• marathonwoman
    14 years ago

No personal bragging here... my garden's too small to keep up with any of you. However, I did have a comment related to Lloyd massive plastic bag issue. I live in Toronto, and while government rarely impresses me with their forethought (mostly their urban planning is an oxymoron), they actually did something right about leaf collection. A few years ago they mandated that leaves would be picked up if left in re-usable containers or PAPER bags. Yes, compostable paper bags. Yay! Here's a link: http://www.toronto.ca/wesads/solid_waste/pdf/whole.pdf
    Lloyd (or any of you), maybe you could work with your city planners (if they're not oxymorons) to get them to do something similar. Toronto is a city of over 2.5 million people, so I guess I'm bragging for their bagging...

• 11otis
    14 years ago

Same here in Vancouver, BC and some of the surrounding municipalities. Since the price of those paper bags add up, people start using the re-usable containers.
    The truck picking up these "yard trimmings" is the same truck picking up the garbage. They do the garbage run first and come back several hours later to get the yard trimmings

• rdak
    14 years ago

WOW Lloyd!! All I can say is GOOD GOING!!

• pnbrown
    14 years ago

Lloyd, kudos to you, man! It's great to see somebody walking the talk. Not that everybody on this forum isn't walking, but I don't guess too many of us would want to fertilize 20 acres with leaves, even if they are delivered (which is an interesting cross to the other thread, isn't it? I might spread an acre on my own, if the leaves were delivered...)

Is the delivery entirely free? Town pays for the fuel and driver?

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Well all the leaves have now been de-bagged. The last seven truckloads just done today, the weather has been fanatastic.

This 20 acre field belongs to the quarry, I 'rent' it but don't pay for rent. I get to use it if I keep the weeds down, they pay the taxes etc. It will get all the yard trimmings next summer as well.

Delivery is FREE, the town collects it all and spots it on the field where I want it. The town gives me a dumpster for the bags and pays for disposal of the bags and any other trash I get.

The town also pays me the equivalent of what the town would have to pay the landfill if the material had to be landfilled.

I have to dump all the bags no matter what type of bag it is to ensure no trash is lurking.

Looking around town this morning, I might get one or two truck loads next week, not much laying around anymore so that will be the end of the season.

Lloyd

• paulns
    14 years ago

Every community should have one of you, Lloyd.

• madmagic
    14 years ago

Compost and celebrity? Well, here's a few examples of past connections made, from the MM files:

* Lloyd (pt03) once snailmailed me compost, which is now in my garden of course, along with the healthy energetic Manitoban microherd it contained.

* Annp (Annpat) once snailmailed me compostables, including lobster shells and homegrown chicken poop, which went immediately into the worm bathtub and thence into the garden of course, along with the healthy energetic Mainer microherd, etc.

* At Annp's personal request, I once helped to re-enact the famous Hendrix-touching incident, for a small party of good friends of course, late one night in Maryland.

* While this may not immediately appear compost-related, I once made Marshall McLuhan laugh. (The medium is the message.)

All the best,
    -Patrick (madmagic)

Here is a link that might be useful: Amusing Idiots You Have in This (i)Village

• Lloyd
    14 years ago

Is there a hand reaching into the picture???

Lloyd

• annpat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funny I came home to this tonight, because not four hours ago, I was relating the story to a group of new dinner companions about how Jimi Hendrix once touched my hand with his arm!

It frankly amazes me how often this comes up in conversation!

• jerseybob_gw
    14 years ago

Annpat,

Wait a minute, Jimi Hendrix touched your hand with his arm and not the other way around?
    That makes you the famous person in my book. :)