Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rj_hythloday

straw bales

rj_hythloday
15 years ago

So I called my local walmart, they said I could buy the straw bales out front that had been decoration for half off, the already half off. Less than $2 ea isn't bad, I paid $7 for one from the feed store last summer. I'm still holding out for free though.

I stopped by the local commisary and asked the produce mgr about their display bales, she said the us gov won't let her give them away. I asked if they could go beside the dumpster, she said I'd have to go in after them. I'm going to drive by later and see if the area is even accessible and if they would be reachable. I don't think I'll dive, but I'll reach in and pull out if I can.

Has any one had luck getting straw bales yet? I have my eye on a few yard displays wathcing to see if they come down and go to the curb.

Comments (12)

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

I noticed this morning that someone had driven into my field and "borrowed" a couple of straw bales. I didn't realize the economy was so bad up here that folks had to resort to that! LOL

Lloyd

• gardenfanatic2003
    15 years ago

Lloyd,

Some people are just that way, regardless of the economy.

Deanna

• rj_hythloday
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I drove by the commissary and decided I wouldn't be trespassing on federal land to get any thing. I did find a few more houses w/ them out and will be watching to see if they move to the curb.

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

Hi Deanna

Ya, it really is too bad, had they asked, I would have given it to them anyways. It's not like I don't have tons of them. I just get disappointed with some peoples attitude that they can just take, take, take. They're probably bragging to their neighbor about how they got such a good deal on the straw.

Oh well, been playing in the compost all day so in a much better mood now.

:)

On a side note, I tried straw in the multi=tumblers this year, it didn't work so well, not sure why though.

Lloyd

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Sorry Lloyd. Couldn't help myself... They were so close to the road and I heard 'Take me! Take me!'.

No, really, I even ask when it's bags of leaves yet they aren't quite to the curb but obviously intended for that destination. I even have to keep my loot of leaves hidden at this time of year. My neighbour saw someone take some leaves last year but came out and told them to put them back as I was using them... Bravo for good neighbours!

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

I knew it wasn't you Tiff and I know it wasn't a "compost enthusiast".

How do I know?

There were 600 bags of freshly delivered leaves (a lot of them were shredded leaves!)right beside the bales in the field, the person drove right in with their trailer and only took 2 bales. Now any compost wacko enthusiast worth anything would have loaded up the trailer with leaves!

Lloyd

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Oh, but Lloyd, my little Yaris could only take so much, so I figured I'd get more bang for my aching muscles if I took the bales...

Again, my apologies. Since I won't be going out west for a while, I'll bring the remnants back to you in a couple of years. You should be able to mulch a 3 ft SQ area of the gardens with them. :O)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I just knew that down deep, that tiffy was a bad seed :o)

Karen

• west9491
    15 years ago

2 bucks isn't a bad deal for straw

i get it for 4 at a local place, another place down the road sells it for 6.25!

they must think we eat the stuff!
    i just use it to insulate the dog houses as well as my compost pile.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

So what is that store going to do if someone does not buy those, now trash, straw bales? They will have to pay someone to haul them away as trash. Straw, most often, is a waste product, although gardeners have now created a market for that material.

• fatbaldguy
    15 years ago

Several local farmers are selling straw. There are numerous horse stables locally and many use straw. Some use woodshavings however.

Prices range from $2.50 to $1.00 per bale. Loose straw from broken bales, $5.00 per pick-up load.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

I'm having to pay 4.50 per bale-and have my compost pile built out of it. Too bad its so far to the field in Canada (I'd ask!)