Thanks...

This guys about 1 inch long...
 photo CIMG5659_zpsd842cccb.jpg
 photo CIMG5661_zps020a9200.jpg

This post was edited by jim1961 on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 12:25

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody know?

I don't know this exact one because it is the US. But it is very similar to our native Devil's Coach horse - which is definitely a good guy. It is a rove beetle and most are predators.

o

I found out this guy is a oil beetle...

Thanks...

Here is a link that might be useful: oil beetle

o

Looks like a predator, for sure...

o

The oil beetle larvae (known as tringulins) are very active, and climb up onto flowers where they wait for a host bee. They attach themselves to the bee, and if they are lucky and attach to the right type of species they will be flown to the host’s burrow, where the tringulin oil beetle turns into a grub-like larva, and develops, feeding upon the pollen stores and eggs of the host. The larva pupates and the resulting adult beetle spends the winter inside the host’s burrow before emerging the following spring ....

Here is a link that might be useful: More info

o

Amazing.

o

Sorry to read it is a distructive one.

o

NOT a GOOD guy , to me, if it kills the bee.
I would kill them before they have a chance to kill the bees.

o

I'm amazed that a critter could live in a beehive and prey on it without being attacked. I wonder how it pulls that off?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here