Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this a GREEN?

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 14:07

With the lawn mowing season just about over I need to find another source of greens (other than my kitchen waste and coffee grinds).

So....every year I trim this shrub (don't know what it's called) down to about a foot tall . Can I use the trimmings in my compost bin as a green? Problem right now is that I just have way too many leaves in my bin and I need to balance it out. I've been working frantically at this every day, to the point where I have been collecting my co-workers' used K-Cups every day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this a GREEN?

The plant in your picture isn't a shrub - it's a grass, a Miscanthus. So I imagine it would be a green if fresh and a brown if dead. But don't quote me. I don't bother with the whole green brown thing but simply compost everything which comes to hand.

o

Yeah, I meant to say ornamental grass, not shrub.

o

If ornamental grasses are allowed to stand and dry out and loose that green color of summer they become a brown, a high Carbon material, and not a green, a high Nitrogen material.

o

That grass, as shown, has very little value in composting. Besides, it is very tough. I would rather use the cutting as mulch (minus the seeds). It is probably as good as straw.

o

A bad statement, "That grass, as shown, has very little value in composting", because all vegetative waste has value in the compost pile. Straw has value in the compost pile as do shredded leaves, grass clippings, kitchen waste, garden waste, and anything else except maybe Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac.

o

I like grass as a green, but its seasonal. Coffee grounds should be available in NJ, I expect you have some Starbucks or other brands.

One day I put about 100 pounds of used grounds in my hatchback from one visit and one store. I found a Chinese seafood grocery store and they let me come in on the weekend and drag out out large bags filled with bok choy and other veggies. About 300 pounds worth, the hatchback was crammed full.

The last time I collected from either type of store was eight years ago. Just too much work.

You can use the 'Search' feature ('ucg' 'Starbucks' 'dumpster') to look at past threads on how to maximize your dumpster diving. I have become suspicious of other peoples grass (even their leaves) and now use only my own.

o

A bad statement, "That grass, as shown, has very little value in composting"

That's a bit harsh! I know almost anything is compostable, but you don't have to get.......mean! Nancy

o

If, like me, you use the compost heap not as a science project, nor a mission to attain perfection, nor solely as a soil booster but also as a way of getting rid of all garden waste without sending any off the property, that grass would definitely go in the mix. But probably in the spring so the seed heads could be appreciated through the winter visually by me and edibly by birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here