Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf bags and lasagna bed

Posted by birdgardner NJ/ 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 15:23

I've got about twenty big paper bags of leaves - each about 3+ feet tall and maybe 20-25 lbs. of dry leaves.

They're laid out and I'm waiting for a soaking rain before I cover them with plastic. I was wondering what nitrogen source I could use to speed up the composting process - no manure here.

Right now they are laying on their sides, about a foot tall. I can get more, put a second layer on the first.

I used to be able to find a lot of pumpkins being thrown away after Halloween - they were great for heating up a leaf pile. What are people doing with their pumpkins - eating them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf bags and lasagna bed

IMO, dry leaves need not to be composted. All you want is to break them into smaller particles. I would just mix fall leaves with garden soil. If you have worms in the soil, they will convert them into worm casing without a need for micro organisms. But if you could chop them, it will work much faster and mix well with the soil. The othe option is just to pile them up as a compost pile let it sit there, if you are not in hurry.

o

The Carbon to Nitrogen ratio of leaves ranges from 40 to 1 to 80 to 1 depending on the age of those leaves, so how much N may be needed depends on that. Moisture levels is also important since not enough will keep the bacteria from working and too much will cause anaerobic bacteria to get to work.
Most people that put out pumpkins for Halloween toss them into the garbage because they do not look on them as a resource but simply as garbage. Sources of N could be lawn food, bags of compost from the garden center, or even blood meal.

o

Don't forget your kitchen scraps, all through the winter. Layer them with leaves and by spring you'll have a compost pile halfway cooked already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here