Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting food waste with wood chips and then...

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 15:56

Here is a one I haven't heard about: In a big tub, they will mix food waste with wood chips. Then they blow some air into it for three days and later use the product in vermicomposting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting food waste with wood chips and then...

Albert ... The advice/technique described in that blog are rife with misinformation. The food waste/wood chip mixture plus some air and 3 days MIGHT prep the material so that the composting worms will 'eat' them. But that has not been my experience. May I suggest that you look in on the excellent vermicomposting blog = redwormcomposting.com While food scraps are usual worm 'bedding/food', one seldom sees anything about wood chips....worms don't seem attracted to material that breaks down as slowly as wood chips do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermicomposting

o

borderbarb.
Not strictly correct. I feed my worms wood shavings used for horse bedding.
This stuff is a few years old, but give it to the worms and in a matter of days the worms produce the most wonderful dark brown soil additive you've ever seen.

o

The key here is they say he will!! Not he does. While blowing air will help the composting to some degree, to speed up that much is a stretch. Worms do like wood but I suspect that is because it can get wet and still pass air. I use wood bedding(shavings) for a top cover and odor control on some of my bins. While the worms like it I can assure you it is not gone in days. If it was I would not use it.
beeman how long do you age it? Wood makes great compost.

o

Depending on moisture levels, wood shavings a few years old, might be considered compost. But the OP blog spoke specifically of 'wood chips' ... a whole 'nother animal.
The basis of my outdoor worm pit is tree trimmings, covered with horse manure and it is a very happy worm pit. I'm about to dig the whole thing out and will see what the bottom layers look like. But I agree that 3 days to completion would have to be explained more fully. It would take a high worm population to process it in so short a period.

o

What is needed to digest any vegetative waste is a food source (Nitrogen), some moisture, and some air, although digestion can take place in an anaerobic (in the absence of air) atmosphere, biomass digesters. This operation sounds much too energy intense to be touted as a good example of recycling our waste, even though it does appear to work. Nothing I read said it was ready to sell as compost in 3 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here