Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaf storage

Posted by JerseyPurl 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 16:06

I have a tumbler that I use to compost kitchen scraps. I would like to add a handful of shredded leaves (which I now have in abundance) with each new deposit of kitchen scraps throughout the next year. What is the best way to store the leaves? My main concern is not allowing any critters to nest in the leaves. I don't even want worms living there as these leaves will be used in the tumbler and I don't want any worms in my tumbler. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaf storage

I put my dry leaves in trash bags and store in the shed. They are fine there all winter without any issues. Also, why would you not want worms in your tumbler?

o

Thoughts? Yes,,,,, I thoughts you have lost site of functionality and replaced it with ritual.

o

Jersey- It's going to get really slimy if you are only putting kitchen scraps (greens) into your tumbler!
You want a heck of a lot more browns (leaves etc) than greens (kitchen scraps, grass clippings, coffee grounds)
I go to the neighbors houses, use my leaf sucker/grinder and bag up as much as I can. I bag them in contractor bags and store in my shed to use throughout the spring and summer.
Even though we've had rodent problems in the past, we've never had a problem with storing leaves

o

I stashed ~12 black garbage bags of them under the deck overwinter last year. Even though most had holes poked in them I noticed no critters. I did wear thick leather gloves when un-bagging them just in case, though.

And whatever worms you're looking to get rid of, bring 'em to me and I'll toss them in my pile!

o

I like to crush the leaves, toss them in large lawn and leaf bags, moisten them and store them over the winter. By spring they are partially decomposed and will compost very quickly when mixed in with other ingredients. Makes some amazing garden compost.

o

Thank you all for your replies. I'm sorry I did not make myself clear. I have plenty of browns in my tumbler (mostly shredded leaves), but the tumbler is the ONLY place I put my kitchen scraps -- ie, not in my compost pile. Since I will have a constant supply of scraps over the winter and spring, I will also need a constant supply of browns (shredded leaves).

The reason I don't want any worms is because my tumbler can get hot (well very warm anyway) and I don't want to hurt the worms :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here