Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

How to 'fix' a sand volleyball court

docmom_gw
15 years ago

I have new friends who's kids are now all gone to college. They have a huge (40'x60') sand volleyball court that they want to get rid of, but don't have decent access to get trucks in to dig/haul the sand out and replacement soil back in. I suggested just turning the whole thing into a butterfly garden. My question to all of you: Is it possible to convert pure sand into productive soil by just adding organic amendments? My plan was to bring in 12-18 inches of leaves and any horse manure I can get my hands on and just let it compost in place over the winter. In the spring I could either plant directly, or till and then plant. Or do you think I should till yet this fall? The sand is 6-8" deep and mixed with gravel. It hasn't been played on in years, so it's compacted by the rain and snow. Still easy to dig. I don't know what kind of soil is below it, but I figure anything will benefit from organic additions. Since I'm planning to plant only drought tolerant natives, I'd be happy with pretty lean soil.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Martha

Comments (4)