Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerogork2

Newspaper and Hay mulch aftermath

emerogork
9 years ago

This is the end of my second year for my use of newspaper and hay as mulch. I have had exceptionally good results with as weed control.

I now have perennials instead of annuals in locations that have had this mulch treatment for these two years. I am not looking forward to placing newspaper between plants to keep the same weed control. I just might use hay or chopped leaves as mulch.

My question is: How well, and for how long, might I have stopped the weed cycle? I know that plants put out one, two and three (or more) year seeds.

Has anyone changed their mulch pattern to observe the recovery of weeds?

Is it better/necessary to endure the repapering work to stop the weeds?

Comments (4)

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Not much beats thick layers of paper/cardboard as weed-block. And yes, it is a big hassle to put it around plants - to much hassle for me most of the time. Why not break out the hoe or hand-weed around the perennials?

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Maybe a year, maybe less. Seeds from unwanted plants are being spread around by birds, the wind, and animals all the time and they can germinate and grow at any time.
    Newspaper laid on top of soil can stop many unwanted plant seeds from germinating and growing, although those unwanted plants that spread by roots may not be. Mulches help control unwanted plant growth but do not necessarily stop all of it. Diligence is still needed in in controlling unwanted plant growth.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Once newspaper/cardboard gets soggy and partially broken down, weeds germinate and grow in it just fine, IME. It is temporary, like everything in the garden.

• emerogork
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE: After one year, most of 4 layers of newspaper and 3" chopped hay, very little is left to be of concern.