Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeds in compost

Posted by thedarkness 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 17:58

i have often seen threads about weeds and the seeds in compost, but have yet to see one about fruit seeds such as cherries, apples, avacados, ect. i was wondering A) will they break down even though they have an outer shell specifically designed not to, B) will they sprout fruit trees in my pile, and C) what is the C:N ratio, and are they considered a green, a brown, or neither? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeds in compost

Personally, I never worry myself about seeds.
Fruit pits ? heck their difficult enough to grow under best conditions..
My compost piles get to between 140 and 150 deg F.
Some say 160 will destroy them, as I stated I don't concern myself about them.
If the crop up in my beds I just easily remove them

o

i once saw an avacodo sprout about a 6inch root thingy , but then it disappeared

o

Even though the shell that protects many fruit seeds is very hard to open they will when exposed to moisture, and sometimes freezing temperatures. I have found Peach, Cherry, Apple, etc., pits germinating in my compost in the past.
Considering that seeds have everything necessary to begin life with no outside inputs for some time I would consider them a "green".

o

Composting rarely destroys fruit seeds. I would imagine a long hot composting would do the trick. Not many fruit seeds would enjoy a few weeks at 145 degrees. :)

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 18:01

A) They might, they might not.

B) They might, they might not.

C) The seed meal itself would likely be a green whilst the shell would likely be a brown. I can't imagine an average household having enough of this kind of material to worry about them affecting the total ratio of a pile.

Given the very wide range of types of seeds, a 'one size fits all' answer is not likely to be accurate.

Lloyd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here