Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turbodogg98

idea of using a fan on compost pile

turbodogg98
15 years ago

i was wondering if this might work. it would keep air going into the pile. anyone have any comments please let me know

Comments (11)

• takadi
    15 years ago

What kind of fan? I think it would just be a waste of electricity and it wouldn't really penetrate the pile. It would probably only dry it out at the most

• west9491
    15 years ago

i don't think it would work either, think about it though, the wind DOES occassionaly blow outside

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

One Idea I was toying around with trying was to buy a cheap aquarium pump with a large air stone or 3 and burying the stone/s at the bottom of the pile.

• cowgirl2
    15 years ago

It is a myth that passive aeration is adequate for optimum composting.

A commercial compost facility needs forced aeration. But it is questionable whether it's worth the effort for home composting. It would depend on the volume being processed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forced Aeration

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Forced aeration might be something necessary if you are attempting to compost really large volumes of material, but as long as your pile of material is no large than 5 feet by 6 feet air infiltration will be sufficient with out mechanical aides, unless you soak the material and the excess water prevents infiltration of air.

• cowgirl2
    15 years ago

kimmsr,

Can you provide the references to your statements regarding passive aeration? That is not simply people who state a belief but people who measure temperature, O2 and CO2 before and after a turn. My readings have found that after a turn, a home compost pile of the dimensions you indicate, will return to the previous CO2 levels within 2 hours. This is from acutal measurements and not simply what you think happens.

Forced aeration will produce better compost in a shorter period of time. The question is whether this effort is worth it for home composting.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Rodales "Complete Book of Composting", Rodales "Encyclopeadia of Organic Gardening", Cornell Composting, Rodale Institute, Michigan State University, Purdue University, Ohio State University, Northe Carolina State University, Florida State Universtiy.
    Yes, forced aeration can produce finished compost in a shorter time frame but in a compost pile less that 6 x 6 air infitration is more than adequate and adding mechanical methods to force aeration is unneceaary.

• cowgirl2
    15 years ago

kimmsr,

I am surprised that you didn't have the Pope in your list.

These organizations may have similar beliefs about passive aeration but belief is not proof. Show me the sudies. Point me to the data. Unless there is verification of your belief, then it's just an unproven hypopthesis.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

We took the kids to see the movies a couple weeks ago and all I can think of to say about this is that a fan would definitely make a "hollywood compost pile".

:)

• takadi
    15 years ago

How can you expect kimmsr to provide so called "credible" sources when you only provide one lone link to a site called "magic soil"

• val_s
    15 years ago

While I wouldn't pay the extra money to my utility company to force aeration into my own small pile, the link above that cowgirl pointed to was an interesting read.

I wish they would set up a facility where I'm at.

Val