Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sterilizing with horseradish

Posted by woohooman San Diego z 10a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 21:16

I've read about using horseradish and peroxide to sterilize garden soil to rid it of harmful virii, bacteria, and fungi.

Has anybody tried this method and was it effective?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sterilizing with horseradish

Where did you read that? Sounds like someone's wishful thinking.

Also need to know what you're trying to get rid of. Rotating crops is a good strategy to reduce or get rid of some organisms.

o

I think I originally read it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

o

Hydrogen peroxide in large enough quantities could sterilize your soil but I'd think that would get too expensive before it was effective. Since horseradish grows in our soils why would anyone think it might be an effective anti biotic in soil?

o

The site you linked states in part, based on research from 1995 "minced horseradish combined with hydrogen peroxide can completely remove chlorinated phenols and other contaminants found in industrial wastes."

So, even if subsequent research found that to be effective, how can it be useful for home gardens & landscapes?

o

If you read that link, it says nothing about horseradish in relation to soil bacteria, fungi or viruses or any other soil microorganisms. That it may have some insecticidal properties is quite likely - a good many plants do as natural defense mechanisms against predation - but that is a far cry from any sort of "soil sterilization" action.

And unless you have some very serious soil pathogenic problems, sterilization via any method is NOT the route to go! A "sterile" soil is by definition not a healthy soil. The best way to rid your soil of harmful organisms is to encourage the beneficial organisms. And there are far more of them and in much greater populations anyway. The best way to encourage even more beneficial activity and numbers is by liberal applications of organic matter. Compost - which is used to remediate contaminated soils - would be my OM of choice.

o

In the words of a great philosopher...."Good grief".

o

The other thread is at
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg1118492625471.html?4

Here is a link that might be useful: same question, different Forum

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 21:59

Horseradish (preventative for fungal disease)
Penn State University announced in 1995 that minced horseradish holds promise in decontaminating wastewater and now says it may clean contaminated soils as well!
Penn State's center for Bioremediation and Detoxification reports that minced horseradish combined with hydrogen peroxide can completely remove chlorinated phenols and other contaminants found in industrial wastes.

o

From that Golden Harvest web site, "Having healthy soil and a good eco-balance in your yard allows nature to take care of itself. Keeping the soil in top condition is the number one way to have healthy, strong plants! Plants have naturally inherent abilities to ward off adverse conditions when living in healthy soil."

o

I haven't read the links, but if your garden soil is contaminated with industrial chemicals, you're probably going to need more than horseradish to fix it. :-]

o
RE: Bogus Advertising

OK I couldn't help looking at the GHOrganics link. So Penn State did a study that showed horseradish and peroxide would degrade chlorinated phenols in wastewater. The idea that it would also treat 'contaminated soil' most likely was related to soil contaminated with those same chemicals. It's completely bogus to quote this as evidence that it will treat insect or disease problems in the garden.

"Hey, Compound W worked on my warts, maybe I'll buy a drum of it and rid my garden of pests!"

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 13:56

What ever it does, to make it work you have plants Horseradish and apply Hydrogen Peroxide right after you till the roots.
Could be expensive.

o

Jean:

The reason I posted in 2 different forums is because I noticed different forums have more traffic that others and I'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

I apologize if that's a no-no.

:)

Kevin

o

I've done the same thing once or twice, I don't think it's punishable by death. :-]

o

Jean is just reminding you of your other post so that you don't overlook the other responses.

o

Here's another area. That's a rectangular raised area that has the brick wall forming one "L" and the stackable brick forming the other "L". I'm thinking that the stackable sides "breathe" too much -- which would possibly not allow the soil to heat up to optimum temps.

Kevin

o

Sorry. I meant to post this post PRIOR to the last.

Ok -- I said I'd try to get a couple pics to show why solarization is difficult for the areas I garden. So, here they are.

It would be easier if the fence wasn't there so I could just walk along that edge, tuck the plastic, and the cover with soil. But I end up trying to straddle the whole width with my feet. I'm sure it looks pretty funny while I do it.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here