Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Worm Composting - New And Need Help

Posted by Darky 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 22:27

Next month I'm planning to buy the Worm Factory 360, I've emailed the company this question but I got no reply.

I've been doing a lot a research, but my one question remains unanswered. I need to be able to get about 20-25 pounds of compost per month because I have a huge garden. This thing would be great if I'm able to output that much per month.

How would I go about doing that? How many worms would I need, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Worm Composting - New And Need Help

worms eat anywhere from 1/2 their body weight to their full body weight daily, depending on the environment and food source.
they need at least one square foot space per pound of worms.
a lb of worms should produce between 15-30 lbs poop monthly.

o

Vermicomposting Forum - GardenWeb has been a source of good information in the past. You may want to ask there. They are described as "This forum is meant for the discussion of vermicomposting and vermiculture--the raising of earth worms for the creation of a healthy soil. "

This post was edited by albert_135 on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 15:09

o

Striving for 20 to 25 pounds of compost per month may well be much too ambitious, especially for someone just starting, and that will require a tremendous amount of input material.
Look for anything about vermicomposting by Mary Applehoff for help.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Vermicomposting

o

Worm composting does not sound like the proper composting system for you.

Suggest you consider a cheap outdoor system which can provide you with greater amounts of compost. I like my two large mesh bins, low to the ground. In the right week of fall weather, shredded freshly fallen leaves (I have oak, sweet gum and maple) pretty much self-compost. Core temps about 120F today, with zone 6.

Indoor worm composting, or vermicomposting (has its own forum), is great for fisherman and those only needing a small quantity of compost.

o

Worm composting does not sound like the proper composting system for you.

Suggest you consider a cheap outdoor system which can provide you with greater amounts of compost. I like my two large mesh bins, low to the ground. In the right week of fall weather, shredded freshly fallen leaves (I have oak, sweet gum and maple) pretty much self-compost. Core temps about 120F today, with zone 6.

Indoor worm composting, or vermicomposting (has its own forum), is great for fisherman and those only needing a small quantity of compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here