Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotting logs

Posted by old_dirt zone5 Mi (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 0:10

I have lots of partially decomposed logs and stumps. Mixture of pine, maple, elm and black cherry. I can break up some of it into small pieces. Would this be good mixed with compost and loam for a potting soil?
Any other ideas beside just adding it to the compost pile?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotting logs

Search the term 'hugelkulture'

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 11:05

you should ask that question in the Container Gardening forum. It will probably be more productive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Gardening

o

You have the ingredients foR a HUGELKULTURE

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 20:05

you have to wonder if hugel will work in containers. I think it should, the only question is is there eoungh room for the roots after you put a stump in there.

o

There is a homesteading blog that I read where the author uses what she calls "stump dirt" for her potting soil to start seedlings. The few places where I have come across stump dirt on my property, I have mixed it in with the native soil and it was a wonderful addition. For larger logs or stump, I would use them to create a bed around trees with plenty of mulch or I would use them in areas where I am building beds, like for the aforementioned hulgelkultur.

o

It would be fine to add to a potting soil mix with compost and other ingredients to use for potting plants. Otherwise it could be put into the compost pile with no problems.

o

Hugel pots ....

They work great!

http://www.lowcostvegetablegarden.blogspot.com/2013/02/rose-hugel-pot.html

http://www.lowcostvegetablegarden.blogspot.com/2013/07/rose-hugel-pot-update.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Putting stumps in pots

o

My limited experience with Hugel has clearly shown it does wonders for moisture. Lowers (doesn't eleminate) negative effects of overwatering and holds moisture longer than well composted soil. The point being,I believe replacing a portion of organic matter derived by conventional composting with matter from woody sources is benificial in hot arid areas. That raises the question wherther adding rotted logs to finished compost is a better option than composting sawdust and wood chips with other browns and greens. I believe the first is faster while the latter results in better material. And that friends is why I am making compost in two or more fashions on any given day.

o

I had some rotting logs I was going to get rid of but never did and when I lifted one I was surprised to see some tiny lizards were living under one, the log was falling apart, I left it there for the lizards and other soil critters. I have since put some more logs from the leaf dump, those I can pick up and haul in a hatchback with bags of leaves. I never knew it had a name. I am interested in how this can help swampy areas. I will try this in a small swampy area after winter. I see lots of logs along the road from the township cutting dead trees in summer, but they are heavy, I've gotten out of the car and tried lifting some that aren't huge and will fit in the car but they are darn heavy.

o

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. I had never heard of hugelkulture but will try it when I next make a new bed. For now (next spring) I am going to add small pieces to the compost for potting medium. Will also make the base of my compost pile with full logs.
Love to recycle anything and everything I can back into the garden and nature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here