Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost Day

Posted by piranhafem (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 1:32

Today I finally felt up to some manual labor, so it was compost day. I harvested 3 wheelbarrows full of well composted mulch from the tumbler, which I use to finish the compost from my Earth Machine bin. I spread it under some hungry mulberry trees. Then I transferred 2/3 of the commpost-in-progress from the Earth Machine bin into the tumbler to fill it.

I had a bunch of coffee grounds/filters to add, but I have been unhappy with the way the paper filters just don't seem to break down well. I keep finding wadded-up, mostly dry filters in the midst of my otherwise moist and decomposing pile. So I shook most of the coffee out of the filters, then put the big pile of filters in a bucket with rainwater from the rain barrel. I tore them up a little by hand, then attacked them with my immersion blender! It worked beautifully. Poured the slurry on the compost.

Next I raked up the last of the leaves from the nectarine tree and put them in the bin. I picked up a bucket full of little ornamental citrus that had fallen off another tree, and since those also break down slowly if thrown in whole, I attacked them with a shovel, then a hula hoe, to make sure they were banged up a bit before tossing them into the bin.

That was fun, but now I'm sore!

--Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost Day

Glad you got motivated.
Kind of an aside; I also "hang out" in the holiday forum. For a moment, and I'll admit it, a long moment, I thought there was some kind of National Compost Day. Wondering how one would set the table for such a celebration!

o

I agree I think pumpkin day/November 1 would be a great day for it in the U.S. and Canada.;-)

Curt

o

Compost already has a week. I tried telling the boss I should get the week off from work just "because" but he is one of those non-believers!

Lloyd

o

Lloyd, I'm thinking there's a civil rights issue here. What kind of bigot is your boss?

o
You don't have to be crazy but it helps

I use one of my photos of my large mounds of screened 'post as my screen saver at work....he already thinks knows I'm nuts so going down that road is not going to get me far!

But on the positive side (of being a whacko), I only have 4 years to go till full retirement and about a year and a half of sick leave credits so who knows??

Lloyd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here