Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hank55_gw

can I raise PH without adding calcium

hank55
9 years ago

I would like to raise my soil PH without adding any calcium is this possible?

I want to add sulfur to my garden that has a PH of 7 this will lower my ph, I want to keep PH it at 7 to 7.2 so is there anyway I can do this.

My calcium is at 4200 PPM right now.

Comments (14)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

Is your sulfur level low? If it is, I would add some soil sulfur and perhaps work it in. 7.2 is good for beets, cauliflower, and perhaps onions, but a smidgen high for most things.

• renais1
    9 years ago

I'm not sure I would worry about your calcium level unless you have determined there is an imbalance in your soil. On its own, a high Ca level is not necessarily a problem. One of the standard horticultural solutions in your situation is to add potassium hydroxide. It is readily available in fertilizer quality, and a strong base. Be very careful: the material has an exothermic reaction with water. It can also cause significant skin and tissue injury. Some is sold pelleted because it is also hydrophillic. I would use this instead of another standard base, sodium hydroxide in order to avoid adding excess sodium to the soil. The KOH is also easy to apply through drip systems if needed.
    Renais

• idaho_gardener
    9 years ago

You must have a very specific reason to add sulphur. I'm curious. I almost hate to say it, but adding organic material will help alleviate any symptoms of 'too low' pH. OM will work as a buffering agent.

And regarding the sulphur, take it easy with that because sulphur prevents the growth of fungi.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I suggest you visit your local agricultural center. They have a horticulturist on staff that can answer your questions. I suggest you get a soil test done. The ag agent will tell you what you need to do to improve your soil.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

What is soil pH?. It is a measure of the free Hydrogen ions in soil. Most all plants will grow best with a soil pH in the
    6.0 to 7.0 range, although some prefer a somewhat lower pH. The scale used to measure the pH of anything ranges from 0 to14 with 7.0 considered neutral. Most everything used to change soil pH involves applying something containing Calcium to counteract the free Hydrogen ions in the soil, lime, wood ashes, other forms of organic matter, something that will cause those free Hydrogen ions to be converted to something else. That is what raises a soils pH.
    To lower a soils pH sulfur is used to put more free Hydrogen ions in the soil.
    So the question comes, why do you think you want to raise that soils pH? What are planning to grow there?

Here is a link that might be useful: About soil pH

• Laurel Zito
    9 years ago

I think you are confused. I don't want to insult you at all, but when you add sulfur you lower the ph. Lower ph is good, and high ph is bad in general. Most people suffer from high ph. Just adding some sulfur will not lower the ph as much as you think it will. I do it all the time. I add sulfur to lower my ph, but it is very hard to lower ph. If you add lime you will raise the ph, but you don't want a ph as high as 7, even that is too high. You want a nice range of about 6 or even lower if you want to grow blueberries then 5. Most people hate high ph, in fact, I can't think of one plant that likes high ph. The only soils with naturally low ph are found in mountain like conditions in forests. If someone can think of any one plant that likes high ph, I want to know. I had read all plants I was growing like low ph, except for clematis that was supposted to like a neutral ph, but it turned that was bogus info and clematis like a low ph, after all. Just add your sulfer and then later test the soil, you will be surprised the ph will not be lower or if it is it will be by only the tiniest bit and it wears off and goes back to what it was before in a few months. Chicken manure will raise your ph if you really want to do that, and are determined to do it.

This post was edited by tropical_thought on Thu, Dec 25, 14 at 12:19

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

"Most people suffer from high ph."

Boy, that could only be said by someone with a bad case of regional-itis.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

kimmsr: I think the OP is trying to add sulfur but not lower pH, so is looking for something to counteract the acid that would come from the sulfur. At the same time they do not want to increase calcium.

I don't know if this will work, but if sulfate will act to increase sulfur, ammonium sulfate fertilizer might work. Although of course that's got a lot of N in it so you don't want to overdo.

I'm just not sure if sulfate will do whatever it is you want to do or if it needs to be elemental sulfur.

I assume you've had a soil test done and sulfur levels are dangerously low? If not, you should consider doing that before assuming your soil needs sulfur.

• gonebananas_gw
    9 years ago

Potassium sulfate, "Muriate of Potash" fertilizer, OR magnesium sulfate, "Epsom Salt," both pretty commonly found in decent feed-and-seed or ag-supply stores. Epsom salt can be found at any drug store and most grocery stores.

Will add sulfur without calcium and not greatly affect pH. If that is truly what you want.

• glib
    9 years ago

the question is why add sulphur. In Michigan, for example, sulphur deficiency has been eliminated by coal plant fallout. A silver lining in a dark cloud of environmental degradation, but sulphur deficiency is rare. And sulphur deficiency can be cured while moving the pH by less than 0.1.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Hopefully the OP will come back around and tell us more about the sulfur situation.

• Laurel Zito
    9 years ago

Magnesium sulphate or Epsom salt is not the same thing as Sulfur. One adds sulfur to lower the ph and it said to help fight some plant diseases. Sulfur sprayed on the leaves helps with leaf diseases both fungal and bacterial.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Yes, we know that. The OP is trying to increase soil sulfur levels, not adjust pH or treat diseases.

• Laurel Zito
    9 years ago

@ToxThat was for gone bananas. Yes, I am sure you would know why.