Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee grounds vs. ants

Posted by rayama 7b Birmingham, Al (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 18, 06 at 13:02

I read in a book on organic living "Better Basics for the Home" (fascinating book, btw) that coffee grounds repel ants.

Since a lot of us are putting pounds of coffee grounds all over the place, has anyone noticed fewer ants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee grounds vs. ants

You might try searching the IPM forum. They always have stuff about UCG's against ants, grounds against slugs, against cats, sugar against fire ants, etc. etc.

Be careful to distinguish UCG's from fresh ones- if the caffein is the active ingredient then most is probably missing in UCG's.

o

"You might try searching the IPM forum."

What's the IPM forum?

I haven't heard of using coffee grounds to repel ants, and haven't noticed the coffee grounds I use on the lawn reducing the number of ants I have, either.

o
TLA's

Integrated Pest Management. Sorry about that. When you work for GE, you start to use lots of TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms :)

o

Whats GE :)

o

I use a lot of UGGs in gardening, mainly through composting (250lbs+/wk) which I apply liberally on the gardens. It is my main source of nitrogen. Moved here 5 years ago, and the soil is/was quite poor - very little organic matter - which made for great conditions for the ants. Basically the lack of organics in the soil created nice dry conditions for them to nest wherever they pleased.

The ant population has diminished (not disappeared) in the gardens which have been amended. I don't think you can directly attribute the decline to the UCGs, but instead to the fact that the soil is now rich in organic matter and retains moisture much better - something the ants do not prefer.

o

It could be the added moisture, but I had a several foot long section of a planter in front of my house full of ants that left soon after I started adding coffee grounds to the area this summer.

I did try pouring boiling water on them first, which seemed to slow them down, but they kept on taking over more of the box in the other direction, until I added the coffee grounds.

Some ants were still around, since I remember seeing them on the sunflowers in the box, but I didn't see any more of their digging in the soil later. They dug quite a bit of soil out to the surface before they left.

o

This topic has been discussed here before. Coffee grinds will chase away ants. I tried it and worked so easily. Check out the thread at:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/soil/msg0811304110623.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on Coffee grounds and ants

o

if you really wanna keep ants away, use cinnamon and/or turmeric ... works a treat

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here