Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idaho_gardener

Composting, lasagna beds, humidity, temperature

idaho_gardener
9 years ago

Although there is a lot of discussion about compost pile ingredients, there is relatively less talk about the conditions that a compost bin needs to do its job.

In Idaho, I needed to be mindful of the conditions of humidity and dryness of the materials. Bacteria don't live when the relative humidity drops to 10%, and the average relative humidity in Boise during the months of July and August drops to 21%. In December and January, the average temperature drops below freezing.

I am currently living in Vancouver, Washington and the conditions are much more conducive to composting. Although the summers get dry, the relative humidity averages around 44 in summer. Organic matter naturally decomposes more quickly here in Vancouver.

I'm certain 'lasagna' beds would work well here and I might set one up this winter. My attempt at a lasagna bed in Idaho was not a success and I don't recommend it to anybody living in a dry climate.

Comments (3)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

People that make compost in Israel, Greece, Africa, etc. tell me that while it is a bit more challenging it is not all that difficult. People that make compost in places like Alaska tell me that it is not easy for about 8 months of the year, but not impossible either.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Not a problem: The usual Relative Humidity in Phoenix is under 30 and often less than 10 for days at a time.

I have not noticed it slowing the compost process down much. The outer layer of the wire bins doesn't do much except dry out, but it insulates the inside of the pile from moisture loss.

Same with a lasagna bed ... water it well then cover the top with thick mulch to keep the moisture in.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

And if water is expensive and scarce, consider a bucket in the kitchen to dump dishwater, produce wash water, etc. into. My mom (in New Mexico) does that in the summer and uses it to water plants, and she's 80. Had to get her a smaller bucket but she just won't quit. Yay mom. :-] You can dump dishwater or whatever onto the compost.

This post was edited by toxcrusadr on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 11:17