Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

Biozome

lou_spicewood_tx
14 years ago

Has anyone used Biozome? It looks very interesting. It says that you can sprinkle it on pile of leaves,etc and mix them in and do nothing. It can break down with very little water. Supposedly helps improve soil compaction. Speeds up seed germination significantly (that really works according to someone I know). I only bought it to speed up seed germination. I'm hoping to see if it'd prevent stem rot as I tend to lose some. It isn't that expensive for 2lb jar so I figured why not. It's even used to clean up oil/fuel spill around the world. Dr. Carl Oppenheimer is the one who discovered these unique Archae species (not same as soil bacteria that most are familiar with).

Here is a link that might be useful: Oppenheimer

Comments (9)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Other than being totally unnecessary to get bacteria to work on digesting organic matter, it may be something one could unnecessarily spend money on.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow. you really don't have a clue do you? It's like you're saying it's better to live in a cave than in a house. It's better to have 1980s Macintosh than today's Imac. Driving 1900's Ford cars instead of today's car. That's essentially what you've been doing forever. You don't have a clue of latest information. You always says to get soil tested but what does that have to do with organic gardening? Nothing. You just don't seem to have a clue in a lot of things. I came here to have an intellent discusion over Biozome because it's interesting and unique and you shot it down like it's nothing when in fact it's likely you don't have those in your yard!

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

How long has this product been around? I'm also interested to know what results others have found in it use.

From what I read in the website, the product speeds up the composting process. ""Cuts conventional-to-organic transition time down from three years to one year by enormously accelerating the natural breakdown of chlorinated hydrocarbons and other petroleum-based toxins."" Now I recognize that these statements can be more promotional than true.

For example, one claim:
    ""Because of BioZomeÂs oil eating capabilities it can clean your soils from a wide variety of toxins. Government testing has proven the following list of the worst toxins (the Dirty Dozen) have been cleaned using these microbes. This includes Aldrin, Chlordane, Dieldrin, DDT, Endrin, Heptachlor, Mirex, Toxaphene, PCBÂs, Hexachlorobenzene, Dioxins and Furans. (source: United Nations Enviromental program. The archaea are found in BioZome.""

That statement does not say that the testing they are citing was done with the Biozome product, but with an organism that is found in Biozome.

Because I live on a VERY busy street, I worry that my soils might have some unhealthy substances. Since I am not a qualified or highly skilled composter, I have doubts that the microbial life in my compost may not be able to "eat" the bad stuff in my soil. So, I am predusposed to be drawn in by the claims made for this product.

But, having said that, I tend to be sceptical when a product has so many claims and so little real proof of its effectiveness. When you read the two testimonies, they are not convincing to me. One from a PhD who is new to composting and a busy person. Only two testimonies from non-professionals in the scientific community. In short, It seems odd that the "proof" of the product's effectiveness is scant.

Anyway -- I guess I've been suckered one too many times and want more evidence before I'll put out money for a new and unproven product.

So, I'm with Lou ... I want to hear what results others have found. Thanks for asking the question, because I'm waiting to be convinced. But the blurbs on the website are more "magic-mysterious-ancient-elixer" than science-based proof.

• Michael
    14 years ago

I prefer refereed journal articles to ancedotal evidence, and not just one article on the same topic is enough. Highly recommend The Journal of the American Society of Horticultural Science as well as Hortscience for those interested in vegetable production. There are others.

Michael

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

Cleaned up ddt? Sounds too good to be true, I'd love to know more.

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

I found a reference to mycorrhizal fungi -- which may be a part of the product being questioned. I could only find studies dated 2006 ... which was still experimental ... Anyway, here are the links and a few snips you may find useful.
    http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0903/daviddouds.shtml
    September 29, 2003:
    community--mycorrhizal fungi--and its impact on agricultural production.
    Under the leadership of Dr. David Douds, a soil microbiologist with the USDA's Agricultural Research Service,
    field trials have shown yield gains of as much as 50% in the presence of healthy mycorrhizae populations >>
    developing endomycorrhizal inoculants for production agriculture is a more recent idea. >>
    whereas "tillage disrupts the mycorrhizal fungi in the soil and serves to decrease the initial colonization of the plants.>>
    the MF will try to grow, and can exhaust their reserves if they find no plant hosts. >>
    Scroll down to the practical application for gardeners:
    >
    //////// >

• val_s
    14 years ago

It's even used to clean up oil/fuel spill around the world.

When I was A LOT younger, there was an oil spill somewhere. The news talked about a new break through enzyme that they were going to try. It was supposed to "eat" the oil. I remember everyone talking about it and how they didn't think it would work. Very nostalgic.

Val

• eveneve_rocketmail_com
    12 years ago

i recently started using this stuff, the local garden store plantescapes gave me a sample of the ash powder like substance in a ziplock bag. Apparently you only have to use it once a season(i read on the products website). I use it with thunderhead soil (a local bagged potting soil that has bat guano) in my organic container garden(mainly tera cotta pots). When i hadn't had much luck growing things in the past with the Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix i have a flourishing garden in about two months. Noticed the effects the most on basil, watermelon, okra, and pepper plants (bell and hot peppers). By flourishing i mean growth, length, height, leaves, crop (especially in the peppers). garden in austin, texas. I think it has an effect and works, is beneficial :)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional