Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

You Might Be A Compost Wacko...

sylviatexas1
14 years ago

The old thread has reached its limit, but the last 2 posts on it were pretty funny, so here they are, starting a new thread...kind of like sourdough.

Posted by drjinx 8 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 9:43

I liberated 5 bags of leaves from being collected by yard waste pickup yesterday, but I left about 10 more behind because my pile isn't big enough for them.

I think I am only a mild or moderate wacko. :( I'll have to work on that.

I don't collect compost from restaurants yet, but some of my friends send vegetable waste home with me from parties. :)

I also got a load of the "guts" after the Halloween Pumpkin Shoot and after the Pumpkin Carving Party. I am still finding pumpkin seeds in my car. I had sprouts in my pile until the first frost; I guess it is not hot enough.

Jean Marie

Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 10:03

"Halloween Pumpkin Shoot"

Wow, you 'Mericans will hunt anything!!! Do you have to like set up blinds or decoys? I already assumed there is a "season" for this.

:-)

Lloyd

Comments (118)

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

When you drive a half an hour in a snow storm to a nature preserve to attend a compsting class. It was awesome! And all your knowlege helped so much. I knew more than anybody there!

• teequiltbarbie
    14 years ago

Oh, rott, I LOVED that video. I've sent it to some of my non-composting kids and my niece wrote back it was "perhaps one of the sweetest funniest video's ever". Folks it definately is worth watching. Ah, the eternal dilema...do YOU compost meat(aka: Grandpa) in your pile? I also have added it to my favorites and think it's a good one to have to always have a reason to smile at the click of a button.

THANKS ROTT! :)

• minitrucker
    14 years ago

If your main reason for building a chicken coop is manure feathers and guts for compost.

• jerseybob_gw
    14 years ago

If your 18 year old son might get a job on a farm with llamas, goats and emu's to clean their pens and the first thing you think is "Can I get some of the poop?"

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

oh, jerseybob, jealous!

• sugarmaple
    14 years ago

...if your DH, upon learning he needed a stress test, says "if I don't make it through this test you can throw me on the compost pile." By the way, he made it through. Sad for the compost pile but good for me. Colleen

• val_s
    14 years ago

...if, you get up one morning, run into the dresser, rip your big toe nail off completely and then later that night think....

Dang! I should have thrown that in the compost bucket!

Val

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

oh Val! ouch!!! My toes hurt just thinking about it!

...if you're planning to rescue your lazy neighbor's leaves that are still shoved in bags with pumpkin faces on them. Gold mine!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yikes!

That hurts *me*, Val.

but it reminds me...

last summer I was using my handy little electric chain saw to cut off a limb that was pressing down on the fence, & instead of standing on a ladder, I just reached up....
    angling my arm so that the chain caught the edge of my glove & pulled my wrist into the chain.

When the paramedics asked to see the saw (to be sure that it hadn't been left someplace where someone else could get hurt, & to be sure that there really was a chainsaw in this day of domestic abuse), I led them to it.

There it lay, next to a puddle of blood on the ground.

"Oh", I said. "Look. I fertilized the ground."

Poor paramedics;
    they have to listen to stuff like this all the time & decide whether the person is in shock or is as crazy as a bedbug.

I, of course, was in shock.

That's my story & I'm stickin' to it.

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

Hahaha! Sylvia, that's hilarious. I'm glad you're ok though!

Someone caught me calling a pile of decaying leaves "beautiful" the other day. I didn't think a thing about it, but the look on their face was priceless.

"Beautiful?!" ... more for me, I guess.

• mean_74
    14 years ago

It warmed up here last weekend to above freezing. We live in town and have a rabbit that has been living in around our yard. We see him regularly. I was walking around the yard this weekend and noticed 4 distinct large rabbit "bathrooms". The snow was brown and there were tons of rabbit pellets. OF course you know what I was thinking. Yeah, that's right, I carefully scooped the top layer of brown snow with the pellets and threw it in the compost.

• north53 Z2b MB
    14 years ago

If in addition to shoveling out the 40cm of snow on the path to the compost pile, you also shovel out the compost bin. I just finished doing that so I could empty my pail. BTW, 40cm is just shy of 16 inches.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if, when a co-worker finds you going through the trash, you say, "The only reason I'm going through the trash is to make sure it doesn't get thrown away."

• ninjabut
    14 years ago

I'm a happy composter with the recession!They've layed off everyone that takes care of the streets and parks, so I have tons of leaves to PU!
    I also get UCGs from the store I work at!

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

You might be a wacko if you read what did you feed your compost today to get the snow reports from the wacko composters on gw

Curt :-)

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

who needs a weather channel, anyway?? :)

Kim

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

When searching for Real Estate, you consider bat feces in the attic a bonus and add it to the positive features of that particular property.

When we looked in the attic and saw the bat poo, my husband saw the look on my face... he knew exactly what I was thinking.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jpw, I think you win the Compost Wacko prize!

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

When your mom is in the hospital, and you are thrilled that she received so many vases of flowers!

• gjcore
    14 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if you take your drinking buddies spent tobacco chew home to add to your pile.

• sheaviance1
    14 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if you routinely go to this website to build a new pile.....

Here is a link that might be useful: The Virtual Composter

• auntyara
    14 years ago

you might be a compost wacko if you think this is beautiful! LOL!
    {{gwi:302685}}
    I sure do I can't wait til spring. Only 10 days and so much snow still.
    :)Laura

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

What the heck Laura ...
    Is there a body in there ;-)
    You can tell a lot about a person by what is in their compost ;-)

Lets see..
    Ice Cream (Sweet tooth)
    Paper plates (Kids)
    Sprite 12 pack container (something for mom)

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Jon.
    LOL. what am I thinking now?.."and it's not kitty".
    sorry, too much family guy. lol.
    You're good! but you missed the butter wrapper.aka could lose 5 lbs. lol

:)Laura

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

I didn't want to mention the butter,lest you be tempted to slap the crap out of me ;-)

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Jon.
    Good call,
    and you're lucky I'm on the East coast!!!

:) Laura

ps LOL!!!

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I've been a lurker here for many moons. Never posting, because everyone else asks such good questions, and the answers are so thorough, that I never need to. But now it is time. This thread and "what have you fed your compost today?" are my absolute favorites. After a several week absence, I came back today to catch up on my faves. Had to search and search...I finally found this thread on PAGE SEVEN!

Have we run out of new compost wackos? Have the confirmed wackos not conducted any new experiments? Is the weather nice enough that everyone is spending their time rolling in finished compost instead of posting?

In order to bump this thread, here's my own story. Sorry it's not as wacky as yours:

You might be a compost wacko if:
    instead of paying to have your leaves hauled away in the fall, you pay the city to dump a truckload of leaves at your door in the spring.

My leaf pile should be arriving today. While much of the shredded leaf mass will be used for mulch in the perennial beds, the remainder should supply the browns I need for the summer compost pile.

~CA

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

You can tell a lot about people by the color of their compost rake!!! Jon!!

Curt~

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

hahaha. Funny, curt. And sheaviance, liked the post. I am getting hooked on this one. Not much to do with compost in particular, but gardening still.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extreme Gardening

• Lloyd
    13 years ago

...if they compose limericks about you!

Lloyd

• hortster
    13 years ago

pt, from south Manitobo
    Is a whacko of 'post we all knowbo.
    Deserving his fate
    Steaming piles cannot wait
    Lest he's reading a poem pro bono.

hortster :)

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

...if your favorite children's show as a kid was this lovely lady:
    {{gwi:319830}}

• Lloyd
    13 years ago

Fraggle Rock?

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

Good call, Lloyd-- you win a cookie! Shipping and handling of prize not included.

• Lloyd
    13 years ago

Wembley, Red, Uncle Travelling Matt and the Doozers! Now that was television!! I'd forgotten all about Marjory, I'm gonna name one of my windrows Marjory! I still use the word "wemble" and no one knows what the heck I'm talking about.

Lloyd

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

I would snicker at you for watching Fraggle Rock as a grown-up, but I'm 33 and still watch episodes on Netfliz. :^)

Don't know how the word "character" got left out of my first post. I meant to say "if your favorite children's show character is this lovely lady"

• connie_cola
    13 years ago

As DH was heading out of our rural town driving on a road often used by overflowing trucks hauling farm produce I suddenly cried, "Stop the car! Pull over right here!" Alarmed, he obeyed. I jumped out, grabbed my prize and, being the klutz that I am, smacked my left temple on the window frame of the car door on my way back inside. "Oh no, honey are you ok?" he asked. "What are you doing?" Grinning and holding up a dry ear of corn from the side of the road, I say "Compost!"

• joebob
    13 years ago

Is it wacko to freeze your stuff till you can get time to turn the pile and add it in deep enough to keep the varmits away ----just emptied the freezer yesterday whilst turning the pile with the help of my 17 yr old ----he is really getting into this -----sez it " looks like dirt "-- Dear wife now refuses to use this freezer ---I'm ok with that ----JB

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've heard of separate bedrooms, but you might be a compost wacko if you & your spouse have separate freezers!

• mean_74
    13 years ago

The trash heap has spoken!

• plaidbird
    13 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if you absent mindedly
    find yourself watering those new easy to pull weeds..
    hey, they're green.

You might be a compost wacko if later on a summer evening you make a quick run out to add kitchen scraps to the pile, and you notice when the neighbor has her bathroom light on , it shines directly onto the pile, like glorious full moon. Then you proceed to turn the pile rather than just bury the scraps as was the original intent when you picked up the pitchfork.

• phytolacca
    13 years ago

"The trash heap has spoken!"

Nyahh!!!
    {{gwi:319831}}

• Lloyd
    13 years ago

..if you call up your neighbour and ask her to turn on her bathroom light!

You might also end up in jail! ;-)

Lloyd

• plaidbird
    13 years ago

Inmate : " What's ya in for ? "

Me : "I was in my backyard with a pitchfork turning my compost pile."
    I then proceed to explain the proper C/N ratio to compost a human body.
    Instant respect. Good times !
    :)

• pattyokie
    13 years ago

...if you do a happy dance when you find 8 bags of last fall's leaves hidden in tall grass, pay a neighbor kid to check them for snakes, then brave the "record high lows" (the TV weather man actually said that)of 80s at dawn to chop them up with a me-pushed reel mower, run to Starbucks to get them coffee to welcome them to their new home, then re-bag them because you actually don't have room for any more compost but can't stand not to keep them.

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

You might be a HI-BROW compost wacko if you can cite a reference to composting from Shakespeare
    [1] Hamlet [Act 111, Scene IV]
    And do not spread the compost on the weeds, To make them ranker.
    [2] ''' TIMON OF ATHENS [Act IV, Scene 111]
    the earth's a thief, that feeds and breeds by a composture stole from general excrement: each thing's a thief

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very good, Barb!

I just read something on the Texas Forum which inspired this:

"You might be a compost wacko if you add so much stinky material that buzzards circle your house."

• tifbee
    13 years ago

If instead of fast forwarding through the commercials, you race out to the compost bin to sift through one more bucket of compost and try to get back before your show starts again. I know I could just pause it but what a rush=)

• pjames
    13 years ago

This morning I found an armadillo digging around my tomatoes. I chased him with a hoe swinging it all the way until I slipped and fell. The regret I had was NOT that he got away and might come back but that I could NOT add his carcass to my compost.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Something on another thread reminded me of an old gardening friend who has since moved away for school.

You might be a comost wacko if you keep 2 broom handles, cut to size, in your trunk so you can prop it open to stuff in more bags of leaves & such.