Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlangend1120

You might be a compost wacko if...

dlangend1120
9 years ago

Time to resurrect this old chestnut, and I was inspired with my fall harvest of leaf bags for mulch. So here you go, you might be a compost wacko if....

....you lie to your DW about having the day off so you can take advantage of the recycling morning (especially since the green recycling day is now citywide so before work, only about two loads of leaf bags can be gathered before getting ready for work). It all went well till she looked at the clock at 9 and thought I was dead of a heart attack in the backyard.

...you blow your nose with pine needles. A bit rough, but not bad.

....you are thankful that it is snowing and not raining so you can keep mulching leaves till you are done.

Pictures of my wonderful Wednesday attached.

Comments (24)

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

heavenly!

You might be a compost wacko if you...
    keep a compost bucket in the kitchen, & if the bucket is full & you don't have time to take it out & you have, say, some eggshells & coffee grounds, you put them in a clean kitchen bowl to save them!

You try not to throw anything away "the first time", & feel a happy thrill if you can get more than 2 uses out of it
    (use cardboard boxes to bring home groceries, then put them around plants on frosty nights, then finally put them in the compost).

• jimiimijz
    9 years ago

Nice leaf haul!

...you collect 400 pumpkins for compost...spend the entire month of November collecting leaves & hacking said pumpkins with an axe

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

How did you get ahold of all those pumpkins???

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

I am so green with jealousy !

You lucky guy ! Please marry me so that I can get the residency and can come and compost so many pumpkins in the USA !

You just spoiled my day ! Now I have to deal with envy for the whole night !

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Lovely orange color!

& speaking of pumpkins & of using things more than 2 times:

My neighbor brought me a pumpkin in October;
    I "carved" it (first time I ever carved a pumpkin. & last time).
    I displayed it on the patio table until it began to sag.
    It looked like the pumpkin had forgotten to put in its dentures, not a festive effect.

Chopped it up & took out the seeds & washed & dried them for next year.

put the chopped-up pumpkin in the compost.

Neighbor came back over & said,
    "Why did you put that in the trash(!!!)?
    My son's goats love pumpkin."

so he took the pumpkin to his son's goats,
    & in return will bring me...
    something from the barnyard.

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

I picked up the banana peels on the street and people have strange look at me,,,

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

lol!

I once brought home a plastic shopping bag from the fair.

Other people's bags were filled with pamphlets & "special offers".

Mine...
    corn cobs.

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if . . .

You get frustrated with taking care of the soon (in a few months) to be 10 inches of hair to donate to Locks of Love, and instead hack off 5 inches NOW and feed it to the compost pile.

• gonebananas_gw
    9 years ago

I have a friend who collects many discarded pumpkins in the holiday season, but for his wormpile rather than a regular compost pile.

I know where a large semiwooded cemetery puts its large bags of collected leaves in the winter months and I get about 80 per year, but here more for thick mulch on sterile sands rather than a compost pile per se.

• Laurel Zito
    9 years ago

I know the feeling. If you don't discard even the smallest food scrap or the smallest leaf , your compost needs as much as it can get. You see an orange in the street and you take it home for your compost.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if . . .

you pull coffee grounds and banana peels from the kitchen trash at work

you offer to rake your neighbors yard for the leaves

you ask the hairdresser to sweep up your clippings to take home.

;-) fun thread

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

We have organic or compostable recycling at work. I take a baggie for my apple cores :-) Not sure that qualifies as a wacko, but it's a start!

• Laurel Zito
    9 years ago

Hair makes terrible compost.

• groomie2
    9 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if....you are still thinking about the 2 pumpkins that were placed nicely on the side of the highway (not just thrown out a car window- they were sitting right next to each other stem side up!) and you saw them when you were taking your cat to the vet on Christmas Eve. You were not able to stop and pick them up because -1-you would have been late for your appointment and -2-because you were on the highway and by the time they registered in your brain, you were too far past them to stop.

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if...

You're haunted by Groomie's 2 pumpkins wasted on the side of the highway.

You feel better when a friends stops at your work place and brings you her Christmas waste (used moss and kitchen scraps) (yeah my car is dirty but what's the use of cleaning it when it'll be dirty again the next day)

Then you forget to ask Groomie's about the cat's health whereas you love animals.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

t_t, darn, I thought hair was good for the compost pile. Is it too slow to decompose or is it something else?

• groomie2
    9 years ago

Thank you for asking Francoise, my cat is okay. She has asthma which flares up sometimes and she needed meds. I don't think you could be considered a real compost wacko if you had a clean car! ð¸

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

You might be a compost wacko if ...

Every time I walk around my community, I have to check the builder's dumpsters to see if I can find anything useful for my garden, especially the unused SODs, so I can dig the dirt out and compost the grass, only 4 new homes left for construction in my community now.

This post was edited by JCTsai on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 19:54

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Me to colleague: 'What's in the sack?"
    Colleague (science teacher). " Two week's worth of newspaper, wood shavings and droppings from the school snake and guinea pigs."
    Me: "Ooh. Can I have it?"
    Colleague: " You get weirder by the minute."

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Ha ha! The contents of that sack are definitely too good to throw away!!

• Laurel Zito
    9 years ago

@JTCsai dirt makes very poor compost. There is someone in Park Merced who is a compost wacko. He or she had lots of earth machine, but they must have forbidden it. A few years later I looked and now he has only a tumbler and some garbage cans. I decided to take a tiny little peek to see what was in there, and it was just dirt or soil. It was not compost. So, I figure he tried to use dirt as his browns, and it failed. So, I am looking in there and there is dirt only and worms just dying to escape.

So, I guess, in general, you might be a compost wacko if you want to peek at other people's compost.

• solanaace
    9 years ago

...your employer requires you to disclose potential conflicts of interest.

You work with a contractor who you also know outside the workplace, and whose wife owns a coffee shop.

You subsequently confuse your HR rep by asking whether you need to make it part of the company record that this contractor regularly gives you UCG and moldy vegetables.

• margocostas
    9 years ago

Great thread!

Your soil is your first crop I always say! I pick banana peels and other scraps out of the trash at work too. I love leaf bagging season, it's so nice of all those people to leave those bags right by the curb so I can easily put them in the truck!

My garden and compost pile have been inactive for the past 2 years. It's been so depressing but I finally got them back in shape. I had a bamboo infestation from a neighboring yard that ruined things for awhile.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Almost enjoying the drought cause I can still suck up dry leaves this time of year! (BAD me! BAD!!!!!)
    I can also go mow the neighbors' lawn for some needed greens! Nancy (praying for rain-as soon as I suck up those leaves!)