Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How soon does the ground freeze?

Posted by nygardener z6 New York (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 19:47

We've had an unusually warm fall, and I was hoping to dig some garden beds this weekend with a new powered plow. But the minute I placed the order last week, temps plunged into the twenties and, this week, are forecast to be in the teens. (Yes, sorry, I'm the one who caused the cold snap.)

How may days of freezing temps does it take to freeze the soil solid? I'm wondering how much chance I have of actually getting some beds dug before, say, April. Or May, since the ground will probably still be wet in April.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How soon does the ground freeze?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 20:00

If you can see frost in the morning, then the top layer of soil must be frozen. But it might only be frozen to a depth of 1/4 inch or so. It takes several months of cold weather for the ground to freeze to a depth of more than one foot. The longer & colder the winter, the deeper is the frost line.

o

Thanks, Eric. I'll probably be OK if no more than a few inches are frozen.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 20:51

You might be able to get an idea by looking at the regional soil temperatures in the December 4, 2009 UMass Landscape Message.

Scroll down to the Environmental Data table and you'll see the soil temperatures at 4 inches depth for different regions in Massachusetts. The zones range from 5 to 7, but none of the soils are reported to be frozen yet. (This link will update automatically in January).

For comparison, the January 9, 2009 UMass Landscape Message from the Archives shows all of the soil to be frozen at a depth of 4 inches. It's likely that the conditions will be similar next January (a month from now).

Claire

o
RE: How soon does the ground freeze? ...

Claire, what a useful page. Thanks!

o

You do what you can do while you can do what you can do.

I'm drinking, but just the same, it makes sense, n'est pas?

o

Soil will only freeze after some time of below freezing average temperatures. The presence of frost is not an indication of frozen soil, only that the soil might freeze some time later. Because the average temperatures around here have been in the mid thirtys my soil, even as saturated with moisture as it is, has not yet started to freeze and now with 3 inches of snow cover, and more coming, it may not at all.

o

(Ut oh.

I sure hope here was the only place I posted last night. It made perfect sense at the time.)

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 11:13

AP, your post made more sense than "will only freeze after some time of below freezing average temperatures" from the USDO.

:-)

Loid

P.S. USDO = U.S. Department of the Obvious

o

nygardener

Wow, that is really a nice power plow you got. I never seen any rototiller work like that before. It must of cost you a few pennies.

o

I understood you perfectly, annpat. You said what you said and you meant what you said you meant.

drafted, yep, it did cost a couple bucks. People seem to think it's a good plow. I'll post here about it after I've had a chance to use it.

o

Cool tiller!

o

I don't know. You might want to swap out that engine for one of the B&S Intek 1600 engines. 342cc's, 15.5 lb/ft torque. You could get more work done. (More power, grunt, grunt)

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 20:16

"You do what you can do while you can do what you can do."

Isn't that like the old saying
"The best time to transplant a plant is when you have a shovel."

Claire

o

Now,(That) would turn EG's compost pile!

Curt :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here