Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with soil mix!

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 20:17

I do container gardening in lg. plastic storage containers with holes in the bottom for irrigation. Normal soil won't work in container gardening; too heavy, compacts too much.

The ingredients in it are pine bark mulch, coarse vermiculite, spaghnum peat moss, some dolomite lime (NOT fast-acting) and pelleted fertilizer for container gardening (osmmocote). The bark makes up the bulk of the soil mix (2-3 cubic feet per 30 gallon batch)

The size of the pine bark mulch I was using was too large; I didn't realize this. It caused the soil to dry out too fast, creating inconsistent moisture.

I found something called double shredded pine bark mulch; will this work or is it too small?

If it won't work my other options are pine bark nuggets, pine bark chips, or pine bark straw.

If the shredded mulch isn't suitable for use in a container gardening mix, would any of the stuff listed above work or would it be too large?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with soil mix!

Commercial potting mixes are made of peat moss, finely ground bark, coir, or a combination of those with either perlite or vermiculite added for drainage. Something sold for use as mulch will probably be too large for a potting mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: potting soil recipes

o

THanks for providing the link with the soil recipes and taking time to post on my thread.

Well the mulch I would be using as I said is double shredded. It basically looks like a fine powder; the bits of mulch don't look anything like normal mulch does, that is they're not in lg. chunks.

Also the recipe I use calls for 2-3 cubic feet per 30 gallon batch. When I mix up my soil less mix, I measure eveything into a container, and measure everything in the soil recipe in gallons.

Converted to gallons, how much is 2-3 cubic feet in gallons?

They're very small in size with the double shredded stuff. Sorry for not clarifying this.

Would this suffice?

o

KG, shredded pine or fir bark fines make up a big chunk of my potting mixes. I shred the nuggets or mulch myself. I've included here a useful link that may help you.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Tapla's container mix formula

o

There are 7.5 gallons in a cubic foot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here